Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass

jvgkc7
Explorer C

If I earn 110,000 points this calendar year, can I hold on to those and use to acquire the companion pass in the next calendar year? Or do I need to use the points for the companion pass in the year that I earn them?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Companion Pass

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

You don't actually redeem any points for the Companion Pass.

You just need to earn 110,000 in a single calendar year (Jan. 1 - Dec. 31), and once you do you'll earn for the CP. The counter for CP Qualifying Points resets each Jan. 1, but the actual points remain in your account, and can be used to book travel (or other purchases if you also have the Southwest Credit Card.) Using them doesn't affect the CP point counter.

The CP is valid from the date you qualify through then end of that calendar year, plus the entire next year.

marlasnathan
Explorer C

As a So. Calif. resident I have a Companion Pass for all of 2018.  From what I read, you cannot earn a second companion pass in the same year.  However, If I accumulate 110,000 miles in 2018, will I be able to use the companion pass in 2019? 

franktravel
Aviator B

Yes! 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To be clear: It's 110,000 Companion Pass Qualifying points (not miles, and not all points are CP qualifying).

HeidiT
Explorer C

To be clear...if I qualify today Sept. 21, 2018 for a companion pass, it would be valid through 12/2019?

If so, does that also mean that if I qualify for the companion pass in Jan. 2019, it would be valid until 12/2020?  Essentially, 2 years??

Thanks!

franktravel
Aviator B

YES!!!