Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass and the SWA credit card

kbl
Explorer C

Hi,

I want to work towards a companion pass, and in so doing, I plan to apply for the SWA credit card.  Once I spend a certain amount within three months, I receive 40,000 bonus points.  I'm trying to time this properly, because I'm unclear about the difference between the open date and the anniversary date.  So if I apply for the card in December, do I need to hold off on using the card until January to be sure all of the bonus points count towards 2017?  Or do I need to hold off on applying for the card until January?  Any advice on getting the companion pass will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Companion pass and the SWA credit card

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

You can open in Dec and it's going to take a month for you to spend what's needed to get the 40k points. They will post in Jan or Feb 2017 and your only going to need to earn another 70k for the 110k needed for the Companion Pass.  

Good luck! 

SWFlyerOak
Explorer C
Is it too late to get these 40,000 points added to my account before the end of the year as long as I spend $1,000 in the next few weeks? I'm 20,000 points short for Companion Pass this year... Thanks!

kbl
Explorer C
Solution

Terrific; thanks a lot.