Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass

allinonehdkkn
Explorer C

I have just received my credit card.  I was qualified for 50,000 for CP plus the amount that I've spent.  The total I have now is about 55,000 CP on my account.  If I am not reaching to 110,000 CP for a CP.

1. Will I lose those CP that I've earned from now until December 31, 2018? 

2. Then will those points will be in my account to redeem instead?

3.  If I purchase a flight, will I receive points toward my CP?

4.  If I purchase a flight for my family of 3, will I receive CP from the other two passengers?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Companion pass

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@allinonehdkkn wrote:

I have just received my credit card.  I was qualified for 50,000 for CP plus the amount that I've spent.  The total I have now is about 55,000 CP on my account.  If I am not reaching to 110,000 CP for a CP.

1. Will I lose those CP that I've earned from now until December 31, 2018? 

2. Then will those points will be in my account to redeem instead?

4.  If I purchase a flight for my family of 3, will I receive CP from the other two passengers?

Thank you!

You keep the points for redemption towards flights (as long as you have qualifying activity every 24 months). Earning is completely separate from redeeming - you can redeem the 55,000 points now, it doesn't affect your CP tier qualifying other than the fact that you won't be earning points on flights that you redeem - so my recommendation is to earn points this year until you hit 110,000, then start redeeming.

However your tier qualifying status resets - everyone's does - with the calendar year. So if you don't make it to 110,000 points by December 31st, the tier qualifying total goes back to zero.

@allinonehdkkn wrote:

Thank you!

3 - yes

4 - no, the flights are per individual. You will get points from the purchase price if htat's on the Southwest Visa, and it is an extra 1x for purchases on Southwest, but not the 6x points from flying as a Wanna Get Away fare which goes to the passenger. You could redeem points for the other two people, and buy your own ticket with cash to keep earning CP points. (You'd only miss out on the 2x points for their purchase price.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.