Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Compasnion Pass and flight using RR points

thorny
Explorer A

My husband and I have enjoyed having the Companion Pass status the last couple of years and am on track to earn it again this year.  Question:  We have accumulated a pot of points and am wondering if we can Use points to purchase a flight and also acquire the companion flight as well.  We have only ever purchased flights and then designated the companion. 

Thanks in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Compasnion Pass and flight using RR points

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes! As long as the Companion Pass holder has a ticket they can add a companion. Ok, there's one exception that I know of and that's E-Pass travel, no free companion tickets for those. So use points, cash, travel funds, or LUV vouchers and go travel with a free companion. Be warned the Companion Pass holder will not earn RR points on a flight booked with RR points so if you're close to earning the CP for next year you may want to earn the points until you earn CP then start redeeming once you have secured CP for another year.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Be warned the Companion Pass holder will not earn RR points on a flight booked with RR points so if you're close to earning the CP for next year you may want to earn the points until you earn CP then start redeeming once you have secured CP for another year.

--TheMiddleSeat

+1

Customer | Home airport DCA

Catcaulk
Explorer C
Solution

Yes, you can book your ticket using your RR points and then add a companion to that flight.  I have been doing it for years.  As a matter of fact, I usually accumulate enough points just using the Rapid Rewards Chase VISA to qualify for the companion pass and accumulate enough RR points through spending (vs. qualifying flights) to get all our tickets by redeeming points.  I rarely need to actually purchase a ticket.

BonusQueen
Explorer C

Yes! You do not have to keep the points in your account to qualify for the companion pass. You just have to earn the required points in the calendar year. I don't think I have paid for a Southwest ticket for years (thanks to credit card signup bonuses and credit card spending). I also frequently dip below the companion pass level, but again- you just have to earn the points, they do not have to stay in your account. I have spoken to many people who mistakenly believe those 110,000 points are accumulated to "buy" the companion pass.