Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cross-body bag during takeoff

Noone
Explorer C

I would appreciate some clarification as to why Southwest allows passengers to have pets in their laps during takeoff, but refused to allow me to wear my cross body 8”x8” bag (which contained medicine, wallet, phone)? 

I was sitting in first bulkhead row, and in winter this cross body bag is usually under a jacket. 

Are fanny pack wearers also required to put their packs in overhead bins while the rest of the plane holds iPads in their hands? 

Please apply some common sense to this situation.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Cross-body bag during takeoff

SWDigits
Aviator A
I'm a Southwest customer so sharing the following public links that I see:

Emotional Support Animals:
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol....

Southwest Pet Policy
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/traveling-with-animals/pets/index-pol.html

Carry On Baggage Policy
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/carryon-bags-pol.html

If you have to make an emergency evacuation then seconds count. Literally. If you are wearing a bag with straps and it gets caught on an armrest or something else then you are potentially putting your life at risk as well as the lives of the crew and the other passengers.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Noone
Explorer C

Yes, I can read regulations, too. 

Including the distinction that some items are NOT considered a personal item or carry-on: “Outer garments or other wearable articles of clothing.”

I was a senior aircrewmember (and flight attendent) for the military. I am trained to identify things that are true hazards in the cabin ... including pets/children sitting on laps.

The key wording above is “wearable articles of clothing” ... belts, sweaters, skirts, high heels, are ALL items that can get caught or cause tripping during an evacuation... but, aren’t required to be stowed in the overhead. 

Compare this to a fanny pack example being worn around the waist as long as it does not interfere with seatbelt.

medical equipment worn by an over shoulder strap would also be in this same comparison group.

floridaguy
Aviator C

As a former "senior air crew member" you should already know the answer.

We often have to protect people from themselves.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Noone wrote:

I would appreciate some clarification as to why Southwest allows passengers to have pets in their laps during takeoff, but refused to allow me to wear my cross body 8”x8” bag (which contained medicine, wallet, phone)? 

I was sitting in first bulkhead row, and in winter this cross body bag is usually under a jacket. 

Are fanny pack wearers also required to put their packs in overhead bins while the rest of the plane holds iPads in their hands? 

Please apply some common sense to this situation.

Southwest has little discretion in the matter. FAA requires all carry on luggage to be stowed.

Here's the regulation:

http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_guidance_library/rgfar.nsf/farsbysectlookup/121.589

SWDigits
Aviator A
Good find, thanks for posting the regulation!

Customer | Home airport DCA

AmyMarie12
Explorer C

I absolutely concur.

I’m on a flight right now, on the front bulkhead row. I was also told to put my fanny pack up, which contained multiple important medical items, including my Levadopa which I take for Parkinson’s.

The last thing any disabled person wants to do is have to call flight attendants for assistants; at least speaking for myself, I want to draw as little attention to myself as possible, especially since standing and balance are so challenging for me.

Including fanny packs under this regulation makes absolutely no sense. 

And in response to the previous person: I’m gonna be in major trouble if we crash, I survive, and I don’t have these items. This IS for my own safety. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@AmyMarie12 wrote:

I absolutely concur.

I’m on a flight right now, on the front bulkhead row. I was also told to put my fanny pack up, which contained multiple important medical items, including my Levadopa which I take for Parkinson’s.

The last thing any disabled person wants to do is have to call flight attendants for assistants; at least speaking for myself, I want to draw as little attention to myself as possible, especially since standing and balance are so challenging for me.

Including fanny packs under this regulation makes absolutely no sense. 

And in response to the previous person: I’m gonna be in major trouble if we crash, I survive, and I don’t have these items. This IS for my own safety. 

I think you have to take it up with the FAA though but I think we fellow passengers see your point.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Oh yes, the FAA is full of critical thinking people.  They may wish to re-evaluate their earlier rulings.