Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Current Companion Pass Promotion/reservation question

ErikaS
Explorer C

Hi everyone!

I just emailed SWA with this and got a boilerplate reply that failed to answer my question, so I'm hopeful someone here can help.  And of course the SWA FAQ didn't cover this, either.

I plan to get the latest SWA credit card because of the Companion Pass Promotion.  I am aware that this Companion Pass expires on December 31, 2019.

I've never had a CP so I have no experience with using it.  So my question is: Does CP travel have to occur (or commence or conclude) prior to December 31, 2019?  In other words, can I book a flight with a CP for travel in 2020?

TIA!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Current Companion Pass Promotion/reservation question

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@ErikaS

Your companion pass travel would need to be completed by December 31st and unless you re earn the pass you would need to buy tickets like normal (2 people 2 tickets at normal price) 

Hope this helps

Blake 

ErikaS
Explorer C

Hi Blake,

Yes, that helps.  I did dig through the forum a bit to see how the CP function worked (ie, as long as you are a CP holder you can add the companion later on I believe). 

So to reiterate, if I booked a flight in 2019 for travel after Dec 31, 2019, the option of adding a companion wouldn't be available as my CP wouldn't exist (unless I earned enough miles to get the CP in the traditional sense of course).

And it is for that reason that people talk about buying a companion's ticket with hope of later on converting it to a CP ticket?

Thanks again!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@ErikaS wrote:

And it is for that reason that people talk about buying a companion's ticket with hope of later on converting it to a CP ticket?

Yes, you are essentially creating a placeholder with the points reservation. @DancingDavidE described it in his reply:

"then it would make sense to use points to reserve any tickets for your companion now, then refund the points and add companion to your ticket when the time comes."

In theory, if the flight sells out, you'll be able to cancel your points reservation and book that seat for a Companion ticket. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

Just to add to what @TheMiddleSeat said another time a person may book the companion on points (as a placeholder) is if they aren't sure if the companion pass holder will be able to make a trip for example last year I knew I was flying to Austin (as a companion or alone was still unknown) but I didn't want to get last minute prices so I booked myself separate (non companion ticket) and booked my dad on another reservation so if he flew I could add myself as a companion and cancel my points flight. Now if you find yourself in a situation like this don't add yourself as a companion and a points booking or you could have one or both reservations canceled by Southwest because of the double booking rule so have either the companion ticket or a non companion but not both. 

Hope this helps!

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The placeholder could also be a WGA fare, but then when you cancel it you get travel funds, whereas the points are returned to your account.

If the companion flies often on their own maybe the travel funds would be fine as long as they have good opportunities to use them before they expire a year after purchase.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ErikaS wrote:

Hi everyone!

I just emailed SWA with this and got a boilerplate reply that failed to answer my question, so I'm hopeful someone here can help.  And of course the SWA FAQ didn't cover this, either.

I plan to get the latest SWA credit card because of the Companion Pass Promotion.  I am aware that this Companion Pass expires on December 31, 2019.

I've never had a CP so I have no experience with using it.  So my question is: Does CP travel have to occur (or commence or conclude) prior to December 31, 2019?  In other words, can I book a flight with a CP for travel in 2020?

TIA!

If you thought that it would be likely to renew your pass due to qualifying activity taking place in 2019 so that you earn CP in 2020 as well, then it would make sense to use points to reserve any tickets for your companion now, then refund the points and add companion to your ticket when the time comes.

Obviously if you are only earning CP with the promotion and past levels of spending + flights aren't going to be in the range needed for CP, then I wouldn't plan on having it in 2020.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.