Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Didn't get discounted ticket price

ksarconi
Explorer B

I purchased two tickets for a flight on 1/30/19. As I was about to pay for them, a message popped-up saying that I could save $200 on those tickets, showing the $200 subtracted from that specific flight. When I clicked on the link, it took me to an application for a Chase Rapid Rewards card. I filled it out, thinking it would be applied to my tickets, and was approved on the spot, but when I went back to pay for the tickets there was no discount. I'd spent a lot of time researching tickets and didn't want to lose them, so went ahead and paid. I've now received the card with no mention of the discount. This is clearly false advertising. I hope that Southwest doesn't say that this is a problem with Chase, because they should be responsible for what happens on their own website.

KS

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Didn't get discounted ticket price

bec102896
Aviator A

I believe that $200 discount you are talking about would show up as a statement credit on your new credit card. It doesn't apply to your ticket cost right then. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

ksarconi
Explorer B

Thank you, Blake. It will, if I spend enough on this card and pay the $69 annual fee. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The advertisement clearly states the $200 is a "statement credit after first purchase" and then clicking on more details has the following information: "Earn a $200 statement credit after your first purchase, which will post on the same statement if you make your first purchase today"

--TheMiddleSeat

ksarconi
Explorer B

The $200 off my ticket price appeared as I was about to purchase my ticket and BEFORE I opened the screen with information about the card. It showed $200 being deducted from the ticket price from that particular flight, not sometime in the future after spending some amount of money and paying an annual fee. It gave the impression that the $200 would be applied immediately.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ksarconi wrote:

The $200 off my ticket price appeared as I was about to purchase my ticket and BEFORE I opened the screen with information about the card. It showed $200 being deducted from the ticket price from that particular flight, not sometime in the future after spending some amount of money and paying an annual fee. It gave the impression that the $200 would be applied immediately.

Sounds like this ad at the bottom of the checkout page which also clearly states you pay the full price up front, then get a credit.

Screenshot_20190219-105629_Chrome.jpg

--TheMiddleSeat

ksarconi
Explorer B

Except that I didn't use the Southwest credit card because it hadn't been approved yet.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ksarconi wrote:

Except that I didn't use the Southwest credit card because it hadn't been approved yet.

Again, if you just read the terms and conditions of the special offer for the credit card you applied for, you'll see that you get a $200 statement credit after your first purchase.

That first purchase doesn't have to be the actual Southwest tickets.

(Also, earlier you said you applied, "and was approved on the spot...", so I'm confused. But, if you've been approved and received the card, you'll receive the $200 credit. As well as 10,000 bonus points after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months.)

ksarconi
Explorer B

Thank you. I have to apologize for my original post and the ones that followed. I just checked my statement and there is a $200 credit. I was mistaken about how this worked and erroneously accused Southwest and/or Chase for cheating me. I'm very sorry. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my posts.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ksarconi wrote:

Thank you. I have to apologize for my original post and the ones that followed. I just checked my statement and there is a $200 credit. I was mistaken about how this worked and erroneously accused Southwest and/or Chase for cheating me. I'm very sorry. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my posts.

Excellent! I'm glad it all makes sense now -- I admit that if you're not reading things closely it may be confusing. I'm happy we were able to help!

One more thing: Keep in mind that, in order to earn the 10,000 Rapid Rewards points, you'll need to spend at least $500 on purchases in the next 3 months (and that the annual fee does not count).