Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do I get Rapid Rewards for my family member travel along?

chandermalik
Explorer C

General question, may be already answered. I booked a one way tickets to Vegas of myself along with family but after travel I found, only mine rewards are updated not others. I was in assumption that each passenger purchase rewards will go to my account as I being the primary traveler and paying for all the amount.

-Chander

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Do I get Rapid Rewards for my family member travel along?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

You would get all the points for the purchase of the tickets if you used the Southwest Chase credit card pay for them.  Each person who flew the flight would get their own points just for the flight. 

So if you paid say $600.00  you would get 1200 points from the credit card company.

aj_chicago
Explorer C

That is a dumb answer. It does not answer the question at all.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@aj_chicagowrote:

That is a dumb answer. It does not answer the question at all.

You might want to read it again -- it's pretty clear. 😉

Each person gets the points from Southwest for their own travel -- regardless of who pays. That is because frequent flyer programs reward the flyer for their loyalty, not the purchaser.

One major reason why it works this way is that business travel is often paid for by a company. Instead of the company earning the points/miles, the employee (flyer) does. Which is how it should be. The person actually taking the flight earns the points/miles.

To earn points on the payment for flights, get/use a Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa card. The cardholder earns points for all purchases made with the card, and for Southwest purchases the earning rate is double -- 2 cents per $1.

Hope this helps.

Miguel012781
Explorer C

There is no question to answer. Only way to get points is for yourself or to get the credit card. 

franktravel
Aviator B

You would get all the points for the purchase of the tickets if you used the Southwest Chase credit card pay for them.  Each person who flew the flight would get their own points just for the flight. 

So if you paid say $600.00  you would get 1200 points from the credit card company.