Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early bird fees $ gone

Denvergrandma7
Explorer C

Disappointed that I have lost $50 in Early bird fees. SW will have my ticket money for a year on my cancelled flight. Couldn't they also apply the Early bird fees for the rescheduled flight? Down the road, we had made reservations  weeks ago for the end of May. It appears we will lose those EB fees as well. It's just not right.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Early bird fees $ gone

SWDigits
Aviator A

I would contact Southwest directly (contact options are in the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of forum pages) and, in part to give them time to have the dust settle with a record of correspondence, I would do it by a written letter sent in the mail.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bec102896
Aviator A

Your welcome to contact southwest though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint and see if they will help with the Early Bird fees but being that the Early Bird fees is non refundable i don't think they will be able to do anything. 

rdb101xx
Explorer C

as I fly swa about 6 times ayear ,I have never had a problem with any refund or other problems ,,if you call swa cust service ,they are very helpful and will refund it to you on your credit card

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@rdb101xx wrote:

as I fly swa about 6 times ayear ,I have never had a problem with any refund or other problems ,,if you call swa cust service ,they are very helpful and will refund it to you on your credit card

EarlyBird Check-In fees are, unfortunately, non-refundable. Customer Relations may be able to issue a refund when the flight is cancelled by Southwest, however they will not do so when the customer cancels the flight. This is the policy as it's being enforced right now. This may change at some point due to the unique circumstances we are all in.

Advice for anyone who may need to cancel a flight that includes EarlyBird Check-In:

-- Wait to see if Southwest cancels your flight. If so, you can receive a full refund, including EarlyBird Check-In fees. Since you can cancel as late as 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure and still not be considered a no-show, my recommendation would be to wait until at least the day of travel. 

-- If on the day of travel Southwest hasn't canceled your flight, go online and change your flight (do not cancel) to any future flight that is the same or lower fare. This will preserve your non-refundable EBCI fees. 

-- Once things have settled down, hopefully in a few months, you can rebook travel to accommodate your schedule. There is also the possibility that policy changes and or helpful expiration date exceptions may be in place at that time.