Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Earning Companion Pass

wilson201193
Explorer C

Trying to figure out if I will be elligible to earn a companion pass with bonus points since annual accumulation starts over January 1. I just received my rapid rewards and will earn 60,000 if I spend 2,000 in 3 months. Can I prolong earning 2,000 until late december at the 3 month mark since the points probably wont post to my account until the following month?

I plan on signing up for the business card in January and earning an additional 60,000 to earn the companion pass. Will this work or will my points I earned in december not count?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Earning Companion Pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like you're talking about spending $2000 on the Southwest credit card? If so, points post shortly after your statement closes, that's the date that matters. If you spend the $2000 in a statement that closes after Dec 31 and it's within the designated bonus earning time range (90 days from opening?), then the points should apply towards earning CP in 2018. Points that post in 2017 will not count. 

franktravel
Aviator B

Something to keep in mind,

Bonus Points
This product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of this credit card who received a new Cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months. To qualify for your bonus points, you must make Purchases totaling $2,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This is the opposite problem of most people who are on this board trying to squeeze it in.

If you have the card in-hand already, you'd need to chart out when the closing statements will be. The regular points have to be earned in the calendar year, so a closing statement in December won't contribute to earning CP in 2018 good through 2019, they would most likely contribute to earning CP in 2017, good through 2018.

Check with the other commenters about whether the timing of the bonus points might be delayed slightly to hit in 2018. I'm not sure when the bonus points will hit, but I don't think it is a long time after that third billing period closing date although the fine print allows some time to pass they don't necessarily take that long.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

beccafries
Explorer C

Yes, just start OR complete 2k spend AFTER your Dec statement close....

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think the issue is that the three month period will end in December, so it's pretty likely that the points can't be delayed until January.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.