Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Earning a Companion Pass

gmnader
Explorer C

How many flights do I have to take in order to earn a companion pass and how long is that pass good for?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Earning a Companion Pass

camatuse
Adventurer B
Solution

You can earn a Companion Pass by flying 100 qualifiying one-way flights or earn 110,000 Qualifiying Points in one calendar year. A Companion Pass allows you to select one person to fly with you, anytime, for an entire year. This does not include taxes and fees starting at $5.60 each way.

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

As soon as you reach 110,000 points you get the compainon pass.  So if you earn 110,000 by Sep 2016 you would actually get it until end of 2017!!!!  Thats 15 months....

mmb568
Explorer C

Sorry for the really basic question here.  Now that I've earned a companion pass this year (!!)  and I want to go on a short trip with my wife, how do you actually book a companion ticket?  I searched high and low over the website and couldn't find anything on how to actually book a companion fare.  Any help here would be appreciated... Thanks. 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @mmb568,

It's really easy! Just book your own reservation first, and then pull it up in your Rapid Rewards Account. You will see the option to "Add Companion" to your reservation. You can also book Companion Pass Travel by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA.

WadeConway
Explorer C

I got a new premeir card in Oct 2016 with $2000 being spent in the first 3 months getting 50,000 bonus points. I had a disputed charge made to my account in October 2017 that put me over the $2000 mark in month 2 (November) that was credited back to my account in November however the points were still awarded in November after the November statement was paid. The net payment gave me a credit balance on the card of $269.99 which was the amount of the disputed charge that was refunded since I paid the balance on the card on the due date in early November. I was trying to qualify for the companion pass in 2017 but since the 50,000 hit my account in 2016 I don't see how I can make it. When I read the terms on qualifying it said that if I hit the $2000 point and had funds credited that would take me back below the $2000 that the rewards points would not be awarded until the balance of the next statement was paid that took me over the $2000 point range. I made the purchases that would take me over the mark in December of 2016 but the December statement did not process until late December so it did not hit the account until 2017. The way that I am reading the terms and conditoins, I think the rewards points should be awarded in Jan of 2017. 

MikeNeuendorff
Explorer C

Hi. I've looked for this question in the community, but don't see it, so I want to ask.

Do the 50,000 bonus points you get for signing up for a SWA credit card count towards the 110,000 points required for a Companion Pass?

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

I know last year they did but do not know if that has changed.   If you just got the credit card and received your points just log into your Rapid Rewards account and it will show you how many points you have towards the companion pass.  Just a tip, if you are thinking about getting the credit card sign up for it towards the end of the year because your going to want the 50,000 points to post in you account at the earliest part of 2017.  Because now you will only need to earn 60,000

points for the rest of the year!! 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @MikeNeuendorff,

The answer is yes - those 50,000 points will indeed count toward your Companion Pass!

BullsFan
Adventurer A

yes they do- much quicker way to get to 110K!