Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extending travel funds

socmom2025
Explorer C

I have travel funds that will expire June 3.  I don't foresee me traveling before then due to coronavirus.  Will SW extend the expiration date till at least the end of 2020?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Extending travel funds

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No indication of that yet, but Southwest is aware that would make a lot of people happy. Stay tuned, this is a constantly changing situation. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Extending travel funds

Jesse5
Explorer C

Have flight next week, note from MD recommending not to travel. Threes times Southwest say's no matter, they will not waive $100 for cancellation and extension of funds that expire April 1.  Pure greed, the federal government has stated airlines will be bailed out but Southwest apparently  does not value long term committed flyers. Across America our leaders are calling for "elderly isolation", but not Southwest, cancel and ask for waiver - pretty backwards policy. Very sad commentary on Southwest management. 

Lak629
Explorer C

On March 8, 2020 I emailed customer service on this exact issue.  I had two flights booked for March and April with funds from a voucher that expires May 6, 2020.  Obviously I cancelled both flights.  Funds are available for future use BEFORE May 6, 2020.  SWA responded to my request to extend the expiration date saying they are NOT able to honor my request.  Hopefully this will change in the days to come given the current situation. 

ChiGirl29
Explorer B

I agree. I hope that Southwest would consider extensions given the global situation. I imagine many people booked flights back in September for spring breaks occurring now. That I imagine most people have cancelled. Organizing and taking a flight even between now and September might be ill advised by CDC based on current trends. Southwest is advertising immensely now about their lack of change fees (which now many of the majors are doing now) but in order to truly deliver proper customer service during this unprecedented time I would encourage them to consider extended travel fund expiration dates. Otherwise they will lose customers who were unable to rebook in a reasonably safe time and they could have been better served on a larger national airline. 

haveaheart
Explorer A

I have emailed those customer service robots many times and they keep giving me the same robotic answer. Southwest airlines is proving themselves day after day to be money hungrey, ignorant, and do not care for their customers as demonstrated by their continued lack of compassion for those of us who are responsibly not traveling. They do not seem to comprehend what a pandemic is. They need someone to sit them down and break it down for them S L O W L Y because they are clearly just not getting it. Hopefully they educate themselves and act responsibly soon. It's crazy how ignorant they are of the fact that it is nearly impossible for us to use our travel funds by the expiration date without an extension and that the "1 year" we were promised is cut short by a global pandemic. Heartless Ignorance and stupidity should be their new motto.