Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extra Points on hotel booking

Libra_14
Explorer C

Some of the hotels showing excess points if booked through swhotels.com, for example 19K points for a 2 nights stay.

Do you really get those points ? And are those points counts towards Companion pass ?

If those points doesn't count towards CP, then I probably don't want to stay there & will look for a cheaper/better hotel.

Please suggest.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Extra Points on hotel booking

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Officially, those bonus points are not supposed to count for Companion Pass qualification. That said, they currently do, and RR members have been reporting this for a couple of years now. So, proceed at your own risk, but be aware that most likely (as long as you follow the terms and conditions) you will receive the points as CPQ. My advice would be to document everything. Good luck!

WZiel-SWC
Explorer A

They are base points. My last stay they conted

Libra_14
Explorer C

Followup question:

I booked couple of hotels earlier as well & it took almost 1-2 months to get those hotel points in my account. Suppose if I book a hotel toward the end of December & I get those points in January sometime.

Will those points be counted against CP for this year or next year? Theoretically I earned those points in this year only.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

As long as your hotel stay is complete on or before 12/31/2019, it counts as earning activity in 2019. Check out Year End Tier Processing for more details!

Nicole
Community Manager

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@NicoleAshley  That's all good, but what if like was stated it took 2 months, yet I want to take a trip prior to those points being credited to my account and my companion pass being ready to go.  Seems like there could be a quicker process to the hotel points system, most of all when I double down the cost of my room to get a few more thousand points.  I've been on both ends, seen points show up within 5 days, and also waited 3 months for them to post. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

I book hotels almost exclusively through Southwest so I can get the RR points - I've gotten as much as 8,000 points for a 3 night stay once! In my experience it can take up to 8 weeks for them to post, and there aren't really any workarounds for that except for waiting for them to post to your account.

--Jessica

jppolito
Explorer C

So does it really take 1 - 2 months to get the point from a hotel booking?

Extra Points on hotel booking

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Depends on the motel chain.   Larger chains do a better job at reporting them.  I stayed at a mom and pop owned hotel near Long Beach once, and had even forgotten about the stay.  About 2 1/2 months later I noticed 98 points for a hotel stay.  That was how long it took.  Now I will say, when I do the bonus points, I've seen them much quicker, but if you're a week out from Jan 1, it's a risk.  But somebody stated if the stay was prior to Jan 1, SWA may apply them.  I've not had that experience, other than a flight, so I can't answer that. 

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

We stayed at a hotel in Scottsdale in January. Checked out on 1/18, received points on 1/27.  Might depend on the hotel chain, but it seems I've always gotten them pretty quickly (a week or two).