Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Finding credit amount on account?

Maurac
Explorer C

Ah, I have the same issue. Can there be a simplified way to search for balance in account?

Thank you.

Lgandard
Explorer C

I was on hold with SWA over an hour waiting to talk to someone to find out what the fee for extending unused travel credit, past a year, was.  No one ever came on the line, so I hung up after an hour.  While on hold by SWA, I found this discussion board.  From what I'm reading the fee to extend an expired travel credit is $100!  Wow, my credits are only $103, so I lose them all, or pay $100, and extend my remaining $3 for 6 months!  Not much of a choice.  I, like MANY others, only fly Swest when traveling for leisure, but this policy of theirs SUCKS!  Why is there even a fee and so high?  I can understand maybe a 5%, or 10% administrative fee, but $100?  Wow!!!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Lgandard wrote:

I was on hold with SWA over an hour waiting to talk to someone to find out what the fee for extending unused travel credit, past a year, was.  No one ever came on the line, so I hung up after an hour.  While on hold by SWA, I found this discussion board.  From what I'm reading the fee to extend an expired travel credit is $100!  Wow, my credits are only $103, so I lose them all, or pay $100, and extend my remaining $3 for 6 months!  Not much of a choice.  I, like MANY others, only fly Swest when traveling for leisure, but this policy of theirs SUCKS!  Why is there even a fee and so high?  I can understand maybe a 5%, or 10% administrative fee, but $100?  Wow!!!

I think it is great that Southweest offers use of the credit for no extra charge up to a year from original purchase date, that is far ahead of how most other airlines treat a non-refundable fare.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Dornellas
Explorer C

Hello,

I'm checking to see if I have a flight credit from 2015. My wife Pamela Ornellas - who we lost to higher power on May 6th, 2016 - i believe she book a flight for me from LA to Reno Nv. but we did not use it then.

Thank You!

Dave Ornellas

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hello @Dornellas,

Check out the comment above from @franktravel that details how to check your credit balance on Southwest.com. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your loved one. If you have trouble finding the balance, you can reach out to our Customer Relations Department where one of our Customer Service Representatives will be happy to assist you. 

sarahesomers
Explorer C

Is there a way to find ticketless travel funds without confirmation numbers? In the past, I could get them by calling and giving an agent my credit card number. Is that still available and the only way?

jrk
Explorer C

SWA has made it IMPOSSIBLE to find a credit.  They remove all references to prior reservations if the trip is not made - and you HAVE to have the conformation code.  

Clearly, a blatant and intended process to make the use of unused travel funds not easy. 

But I will waste  a lot of time and find the number.  Hope everyone else does too! 

BIG ding against SWA for this. 

bonyuet
Explorer C

I have the same problem.  After updating couple of flights quickly, I went ahead and made full payment knowing there would a credit on my favor.  I found shocking how difficult is now to claim those unused funds.  It's hidden rather than coming up right away as a customer attempts to make a new reservation.  Even a rep from Southwest was unable to assist me on this matter.  She did confirm after a year, Southwest Airlines takes that money.  No wonder the mechanism to claim unused travel funds is tricky.  Southwest Airlines just want to take customers' money.  Can you please disclose how much money Southwest Airlines gets every year?  I am filing a complaint right now with the FAA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bonyuet wrote:

I have the same problem.  After updating couple of flights quickly, I went ahead and made full payment knowing there would a credit on my favor.  I found shocking how difficult is now to claim those unused funds.  It's hidden rather than coming up right away as a customer attempts to make a new reservation.  Even a rep from Southwest was unable to assist me on this matter.  She did confirm after a year, Southwest Airlines takes that money.  No wonder the mechanism to claim unused travel funds is tricky.  Southwest Airlines just want to take customers' money.  Can you please disclose how much money Southwest Airlines gets every year?  I am filing a complaint right now with the FAA

You are voicing a common compaint. I know you are angry, but Southwest is not doing anything illegal. It does tell you how much you have in travel funds every time you change or cancel a flight.

It is easy to use your travel funds, BUT YOU MUST KEEP THE E-MAILS THAT SOUTHWEST SENDS YOU.  They contain the confirmation numbers and travel fund amounts.  If you have changed a ticket and gotten a credit, it will be listed in an e-mail with the words "Updated Travel Reservation" on the subject line. If you have cancelled a flight the words "Cancelled Flight Reservtion" will be on the subject line. Just search your e-mail for those words, or better yet move those e-mails to a seperate file so that you can easily find them. That's what I do

You have two choices in the matter. Keep the e-mails and you can use ALL of your travel funds On Southwest in the future. Alternatively, you can fly United, American, or Delta (or someone else), and they will happily take $200 or more from you each and every time you try to use a travel fund amount.

Jakefields
Explorer C

To quickly find potential credit's search your email for "Residual Travel Funds" which is in the email body of canceled flights that didn't go back to your card or SW points.