Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flight Cancellation using Rewards Points

jm12
Explorer C

What is current Policy re: cancellation of Rewards travel? Do points go back in to RR acct?

How about the Taxes paid when reward travel was booked?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Flight Cancellation using Rewards Points

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Points are returned to the account from which they were withdrawn.

When I've canceled "points" flights, the fees were refunded to whatever account was used to originally pay the fees. If you used travel funds to pay them, I think they are returned to the confirmation number from which they originated - not absolutely sure of this as I've never used travel funds to pay fees on a points reservation..

jm12
Explorer C

Thanks!!

JMac1
Explorer C

I just cancelled a points flight and my points did not get credited right away like I remember the last time I did this. Is there a delay these days? Do we not get credit back to RR when we cancel flights? 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@JMac1 wrote:

I just cancelled a points flight and my points did not get credited right away like I remember the last time I did this. Is there a delay these days? Do we not get credit back to RR when we cancel flights? 

Sorry to hear that--did you ever get your points credited?

Nicole
Community Manager

aarontevlowitz
Explorer C

@NicoleAshley I canceled my flight yesterday and used a combination of points and some out of pocket to pay for the original flight. I have not yet seen my points posted back to my account (before canceling, I confirmed that I would receive the points back so I know they will be posted back to my account). How long until I can expect to see the points added back to my account? Thanks!

bec102896
Aviator A

@aarontevlowitz wrote:

@NicoleAshley I canceled my flight yesterday and used a combination of points and some out of pocket to pay for the original flight. I have not yet seen my points posted back to my account (before canceling, I confirmed that I would receive the points back so I know they will be posted back to my account). How long until I can expect to see the points added back to my account? Thanks!

I don't think Southwest does a cash and points option. Did you buy points to get the flight? Or is the out of pocket the $5.60 per domestic one way flight? 

I would reach out to southwest on Twitter so they can look in to this and see where the points are.

-Blake

dfwskier
Aviator A

My experience is that points are refunded immediately. At times it has taken overnight.

Could you have been using points from another account? I have done that. If so, the points would be returned to that account.

If that is not the case, I'd e-mail the airline - be sure you have your confirmation number.

Here's how:

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

PapaA
Explorer C

This is less of a reply than a follow-up question:  Does the one year window to rebook for a canceled flight also apply if Reward points were used to book the flight?  Or, stated in a different way, do the Reward points returned to my account after I cancel a flight somehow get "tagged" and potentially get deleted if I don't use them in a year?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@PapaA wrote:

This is less of a reply than a follow-up question:  Does the one year window to rebook for a canceled flight also apply if Reward points were used to book the flight?  Or, stated in a different way, do the Reward points returned to my account after I cancel a flight somehow get "tagged" and potentially get deleted if I don't use them in a year?

No, RR points are not treated the same way as travel funds. They are returned to your RR

account and can stay there until you decide to use them - or stay there forever.