Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Free Same-Day Standby for A-Listers...But There's a Catch

Alex_M
Adventurer C

I was very excited to get the email regarding the free SDCs for A-Listers. It is something WN desprated needed to add. However, I got to reading the fine print and quickly found out it is not as great as the subject line made it seem! We are only able to fly "standby within two hours of [our] original scheduled departure."

Unfortunately, I will rarely have the opportunity to use this much needed perk because WN is being too stingy with its SDC window. There just aren't enough flights that leave within two hours of each other for the city-pairs I fly (even my most common STL to MDW). A good example of this issue is the two midday flights back to STL from MDW on Friday. One leaves at 12:20, the next leaves at 2:30. Even if I arrive at MDW in time for the 12:20 flight, I cannot SDC for free because it's ten minutes past the window. Very frustrating!

While I appreciate the implementation of free SDCs, the window for doing so really needs to be wider so that most people can actually take advantage of this great perk.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Free Same-Day Standby for A-Listers...But There's a Catch

BullsFan
Adventurer A

I agree 100%- this should be changed to include the next 1/2/3? flights to the same destination without this arbitrary 2 hour rule- makes no sense since MOST city pairs do not have enough flights within 2 hours to make this worth much to anyone.

Furthermore, since I'm companion pass holder- which is harder to earn than A list- shouldn't they include my companion???  I called and customer service tells me no- what good does this do me if my companion has to go on the early flight alone and wait for me there?

Alex_M
Adventurer C

We have a pretty good sized thread on FlyerTalk about this (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1790313-free-standby-list.html), and your point about your companion is one of the main topics. It's very odd how WN is handling this. As we have concluded, it's more of a marketing scheme, and not actually a perk WN wants us to use. Very unfortunate.

BullsFan
Adventurer A

I forgot to mention that the standby option should also include LATER (EARLIER) flights too- the whole point is that my plans may change and SWA is not really doing anything of value to me with this new "perk"

Dedmcg
Explorer C

Same problem and a very rude desk lady. Flight for Columbus happened to be ready to board at next gate and my scheduled connection flight was 3 hours later. I was returning from a family funeral and would still have a 2 hour drive home to West Virginia.   As an anesthesiologist I have to get into work at 6 in the morning. She didn't care stating my a list didn't matter I would have to pay $300 for a new ticket even though there were a couple of seats. No place to rest or sleep in MDW. I'm exhausted from an emotional weekend but Southwest doesn't care

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Dedmcg,

We do care - it's important to us that our Customers enjoy the time they're spending with us. Please reach out to our Customer Relations Department by phone, email, Twitter, or Facebook so we can take a closer look at your situation and follow up with you. 

karma-lized
Explorer C

What is SWA official stance on using this perk when traveling with a companion?  It isn't stated anywhere and I'm hearing mixed answers depening on if you ask customer relations or the gate agents

ristiekd
Explorer C

I adamantly agree with all of these comments.  I thought it was bad enough that they broke a wheel off my brand new bag and gave me a $25 voucher to replace a $150 bag.  I tried going same day standby for the first time being A-list Preferred and my flight was 2 hours 15 minutes from the one I needed.  It's very disappointing that they dote on how much "love" there is from Southwest when the impression I get is that they only "love" when things go perfectly.  I've called customer service and they act the same way, so telling me to do that is like telling me to keep banging my head against a wall.  Being preferred really only gets you more miles...and I get the feeling there will be a catch with that as well.

Free Same-Day Standby for A-Listers, but what about their Companions traveling on Companion Pass?

TheEgg
Explorer C

Has anyone received the official WN answer regarding my Companion's ability to use the new stand-by rules while traveling with me on a Companion Fare?

Re: Free Same-Day Standby for A-Listers, but what about their Companions traveling on Companion Pass

franktravel
Aviator B

Found this on SWA website.  Free same-day standby is not available at Southwest kiosks. Please see a Customer Service Agent at the airport for this benefit. Free same-day standby will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling within two hours prior to their original flight departure time, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where space is available. A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling outside the two-hour free same-day standby window will still receive priority standby, but will be required to pay the difference in fare if a seat becomes available. In all scenarios flying standby will result in receiving a new boarding position for the new, earlier flight, if space is available.

A-List Preferred Members will be prioritized ahead of A-List Members. If an A-List or A-List Preferred Member is traveling on a multiple-Passenger reservation, free same-day standby and priority standby will not be provided for non-A-List or non-A-List Preferred Members in the same reservation. For A-List and A-List Preferred Members who have also qualified for a Companion Pass, reserved boarding privileges and priority standby will not be provided to the Companion unless the Companion is also an A-List or A-List Preferred Member. A-List and A-List Preferred Members can still make confirmed same-day changes for another flight to their destination, if seats are available, and will only pay the difference in fare.