Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Free Same-Day Standby for A-Listers...But There's a Catch

Jpluth
Explorer C

Got to the airport 3 1/2 hours early today and verify there are lots of open seats on an earlier flight only to learn of a new policy that A-List Preferred with Companion Pass can only get free stand by on flights within 2 hours of the original booked flight.  The closest flight is 2 1/2 hours ahead of the original flight so I will need to pay $160.  I call SW Customer Service as suggested by Southwest in this conversation and the representative lets me know that I need to pay $160 if I want to make any changes.  No other options or consideration given.

I agree with the others, this is no perk only a marketing ploy.  Where's the loyalty appreciation and customer service?

durgojr
Explorer C

I will be A-List Preferrred by December and have a Companion Pass which I use for my 13-year old son for sports team-related travel. In addition to the 2-hour window restriction, the fact that my minor son can't stand by with me for free makes the "perk" almost useless. Also, the fact that my son's boarding position is always a couple groups behind my A-position renders my early boarding perk almost uselses also. I should be able to check in my son simultaneously with me at the beginning of the 24-hour check-in window and obtain an A Group boarding pass for him.

WN really needs to correct these issues to give these "perks" real value. 

gowyo_34
Explorer C

Wow, this thread is all very disconcerting. I thought as an A-List Member I could fly standby whenever there is a seat open.  I was going to try this on Sunday morning but since the standby flight I was looking into is at 6:30am and the original is at 10:30am, my family will have to wait to see me after being gone for business for the past 7 days.  

Guess I will fly American when I can and at least get a confirmed seat same day for $75 on any open flight.

amgperez
Explorer C

Unfortunately when they tell A-Listers to call "customer relations" and then they put us on hold for 80+ minutes - it's clear they don't want to resolve our issues.  We wouldn't be A List Select if weren't busy and didn't travel all the time.  

CONTRADICTORY policy - you say i can stand by for later flight - but you tell me i have to cancel flight BEFORE it departs or I forfeit $.  Then i get smart ass on the phone at A List reservations that says (and I quote) " they know what to do at the airport."  So i comment that if i was going to get to the airport in time for that earlier flight I wouldn't need the later one - and she says that's all she knows.  WOW - I'm incredibly disappointed in SW! 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The free standby option for A-List members applies only to flights that depart prior to a scheduled same-day flight.

Travel on a flight following a scheduled same-day flight may be possible through the unofficial "flat tire rule." This policy allows any passenger who misses their flight but arrives at the airport within two hours of scheduled departure to be accommodated -- if space is available -- on a later flight to the same destination.

DELBY
Explorer C

I completely agree!!!

I received this email and I thought SWA really did something nice again for its frequent fliers. Well that feeling last until I went to use this new benefit and was denied becuase the flight I wanted to go standby on was 3 hours out. WTH SWA this is not like you guys? You are the airline that 2 bags fly free, rewards ticket can be redeemed as long as there is a seat on the flight and the companion pass which is awesome. SWA why are you offering such a lame unusable benefit? Hats off to the marketing guys that made this benefit seem so amazing until the lawyers add the fine print of 2 hour window.

Alex_M
Adventurer C

It looks like this issue has been resolved! Free SDC for A-Listers so long as the flight is earlier than the one originally booked. Works for me!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@Alex_M

Due in part to the chorus of Customer voices that took time to let us know what they want! Thanks for coming to the Community to share your feedback with us. We're excited that we've been able to make this benefit even more appealing. See you onboard soon!

Alex_M
Adventurer C

Lindsey,

Here is a link you and your team may want to check out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1826321-list-standby-become-free-any...

Toward the end of the thread, there are some CP holders that aren't too happy how their situations are handled when flying with a companion. Seems logical to allow the companion of a CP holder have the same free SDC privileges as the person who earned the CP. 

coolwz
Explorer C

It would have been nice if this morning's announcement simply stated Southwest was removing the 2 hour flight window for same day standby.  I will bet the message was confusing for all of the A- Listers that already thought Southwest provided this long overdue service.   Now they need to provide guidelines for standyby on the same day AFTER a scheduled flight.  Many Southwest airports allow a traveler some time window to fly same day after missing their scheduled flight but it varies from airport to airport.  This restriction should ALSO be removed!  Any flight, same city pairs, same day, no up-charge for A-List travelers.  Get with it Southwest.  Yes we expect more from you.  Don't compare yourself to other airlines.  That's why we fly Southwest.