Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

GRR Flight Options

dsuits
Explorer C

I really LUV Southwest and have increased my travel (rarely fly Delta any more) to A-List due to my frequent business flights. HOWEVER, I've noticed over the past year, the connections on many flights (thru Denver, Midway, MN) require a 2-3 hour layover, making a return flight from CA 8 hours or more. Same with Denver. I'm companing Delta flights that are the same price (or less) for 6 hours.  Anyone else notice this gap in flight schedules in and out of GRR?  I have LOTS of travel to book (all west of Michigan) between now and year end, and I'm considering heading back to Delta. A-List perks aren't worth sitting in the airport for 3 hours. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: GRR Flight Options

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm afraid that what you see is what you get.

Southwest is short a LOT of planes - maybe 50 MAXs at the moment and by the end of the year maybe another 20 plus he airline has a bunch of planes coming off lease and headed back to the lessor. It'll be down well over 10% of the fleet by January.

Plus the airline is moving foreard with Hawaii expansion and that's using more of a valuable resource: planes.

Many peole are expecting that MAXs will be flying by 4Q19. That will allow SW to do things that may help you out, but until then what you see really is what you get.

Sorry.

Re: GRR Flight Options

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dsuits wrote:

I really LUV Southwest and have increased my travel (rarely fly Delta any more) to A-List...I have LOTS of travel to book (all west of Michigan) between now and year end, and I'm considering heading back to Delta. A-List perks aren't worth sitting in the airport for 3 hours. 

Two ideas:

1) with A-list you can standby if there are earlier connections flying that for some reason you aren’t able to book them originally.

2) you can book separate one-ways assuming you are carrying on luggage to try for the tighter connection at MDW, DEN.

Is there an issue with timeliness at GRR? Other connections allow shorter layovers and I’m not clear if the booking system is not allowing you to book a short connection even though flights appear to be available, or are the GRR connections just not lining up well? If that’s the case it will be tough to come up with a build your own itinerary to compete with the packaged options.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.