Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hacker stole points, watch your account!

Catcaulk
Explorer C

It has been a month since I informed SW that 160,000 points were stolen from my account and I am still waiting to hear back from them or have the points redeposited back!  This amount constitutes grand larceny theft.  This was done in 3 transactions using the points as cash to buy an American Express gift card, Wine.com and Flowers.com,  which can be done online.  They did not redeem for airline tickets.  The hackers changed my email and phone number so I did not receive usual email notifications of account activity. It is a flaw in the SW system that the user is not notified if there is a change in their account or email.  Also, the SW iPhone app does show all your account activity making it difficult to monitor when traveling.

This is very frustrating and don’t know why it is taking them so long to “investigate”.  I expected better customer relations from Southwest, instead of no response or communication.  

Watch your account!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hacker stole points, watch your account!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear that this happned.

Have  you filed a police report?  $2400+ in value has been taken from you

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The best thing you can do to make sure your account is secure is to set up a strong password.

Catcaulk
Explorer C

Thank you for the suggestion. I was not aware the points were worth this much $, but regardless, I doubt they will do anything.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Catcaulk wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I was not aware the points were worth this much $, but regardless, I doubt they will do anything.

You won;t know until you try. I have heard of stolen points being reinstated

Erica19130
Explorer C

Try and call the main switchboard and see of they can connect you to somone whom maybe able to help at 214-792-4000