Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How can I book/buy a flight for Someone Else and get the POINTS for THAT flight?

NightSky
Explorer C

How can I book/buy a flight for Someone Else and get the POINTS for THAT flight?  Or is that possible?  I understand that I will get points for the PURCHASE, but can I also get points for the FLIGHT?  Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Re: How can I book/buy a flight for Someone Else and get the POINTS for THAT flight?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

Unfortunately, that is not possible. One can only accumulate points for flights flown by himself or herself. 

As as a workaround, there is an option to transfer points from one Rapid Rewards member to another (after the fact). More here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Re: How can I book/buy a flight for Someone Else and get the POINTS for THAT flight?

NightSky
Explorer C

Thanks Elijah, that helps and good to learn/know!  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Be aware that the cost to transfer points is 1 cent per point, which eats up half of the value. So transferring points isn't really something worth doing, except in rare situations (someone just needs a few points to purchase a specific flight, for example.)

FYI: Points can be used by anyone to book flights for anyone else. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Be aware that the cost to transfer points is 1 cent per point, which eats up half of the value. So transferring points isn't really something worth doing, except in rare situations (someone just needs a few points to purchase a specific flight, for example.)

FYI: Points can be used by anyone to book flights for anyone else. 

The points are also not for barter or sale between people according to the terms, but perhaps you can allow the person to keep these points and then hopefully they will at least buy you a lunch as a thank you at some point.

If you are asking the question because you need the points to achieve a status then we'd need to direct you to some other avenues, transfering points doesn't count towards tier qualifying and as was mentioned by @elijahbrantley the qualifying points always go to the passenger. The "reward points" value used for booking flights can be transferred.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

NightSky
Explorer C

Thanks for the fine print info on transferring points!  ...but I got confused on the, "Points can be used by anyone to book flights for anyone else"..? 

...so, I could use my RR Points to book a flight for one of my family members even though I would not be traveling with them? 

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

That is correct, you can use RR points to book travel for anyone.

Customer | Home airport DCA

ereverski
Explorer C

I tried to book a flight for my wife to join me on a business trip using the Southwest App and points we've accrued using the Southwest Visa card, however it would not permit it saying that the traveler's name (my wife) didn't match the Rapid Rewards name (mine).  So....??  The whole reason we signed up for the SW card was to build up points we could use as a family at any time for any member.  If this is the difficulty then we'll move everything to the Venture card.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@ereverski wrote:

I tried to book a flight for my wife to join me on a business trip using the Southwest App and points we've accrued using the Southwest Visa card, however it would not permit it saying that the traveler's name (my wife) didn't match the Rapid Rewards name (mine).  So....??  The whole reason we signed up for the SW card was to build up points we could use as a family at any time for any member.  If this is the difficulty then we'll move everything to the Venture card.

You can you your Rapid Rewards points to book a flight for anyone. If you're logged into the app or website and are booking a new flight, it may auto-fill the traveler information using your name and Rapid Rewards account number. You'd just need to change that to her name (and account number if she has one) before completing the booking.

Hope this helps!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@ereverski wrote:

I tried to book a flight for my wife to join me on a business trip using the Southwest App

When I go to use the app to book a ticket using points it has a four step process: Price, Passengers, Payment, Purchase and it automatically assumes I am the one flying and skips right to the Payment section. Convenient if I am the one flying but if it's someone else then I have to go back to the Passengers screen to clear and enter all of the data.

I just use the computer.

Customer | Home airport DCA