Rapid Rewards®

Welcome to the Rapid Rewards Board.
Share knowledge about the Rapid Rewards
Program and learn from others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I book/buy a flight for Someone Else and get the POINTS for THAT flight?

NightSky
New Arrival

How can I book/buy a flight for Someone Else and get the POINTS for THAT flight?  Or is that possible?  I understand that I will get points for the PURCHASE, but can I also get points for the FLIGHT?  Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How can I book/buy a flight for Someone Else and get the POINTS for THAT flight?

elijahbrantley
Solution

Unfortunately, that is not possible. One can only accumulate points for flights flown by himself or herself. 

As as a workaround, there is an option to transfer points from one Rapid Rewards member to another (after the fact). More here.

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.

Re: How can I book/buy a flight for Someone Else and get the POINTS for THAT flight?

NightSky
New Arrival

Thanks Elijah, that helps and good to learn/know!  

chgoflyer
Rising Star

Be aware that the cost to transfer points is 1 cent per point, which eats up half of the value. So transferring points isn't really something worth doing, except in rare situations (someone just needs a few points to purchase a specific flight, for example.)

FYI: Points can be used by anyone to book flights for anyone else. 

DancingDavidE
Rising Star

@chgoflyer wrote:

Be aware that the cost to transfer points is 1 cent per point, which eats up half of the value. So transferring points isn't really something worth doing, except in rare situations (someone just needs a few points to purchase a specific flight, for example.)

FYI: Points can be used by anyone to book flights for anyone else. 

The points are also not for barter or sale between people according to the terms, but perhaps you can allow the person to keep these points and then hopefully they will at least buy you a lunch as a thank you at some point.

If you are asking the question because you need the points to achieve a status then we'd need to direct you to some other avenues, transfering points doesn't count towards tier qualifying and as was mentioned by @elijahbrantley the qualifying points always go to the passenger. The "reward points" value used for booking flights can be transferred.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

NightSky
New Arrival

Thanks for the fine print info on transferring points!  ...but I got confused on the, "Points can be used by anyone to book flights for anyone else"..? 

...so, I could use my RR Points to book a flight for one of my family members even though I would not be traveling with them? 

Highlighted

SWDigits
New Arrival
Solution

That is correct, you can use RR points to book travel for anyone.

Home airport DCA