Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How long does A List Preferred stay with you?

alnguyen84
Explorer C

I am currently an A list + Companion Pass member.

With it being 12/19 and I'm currently 3,000 points from being A list Preferred, seeing if it's worth getting. Will I have A List Preferred status for all of 2018?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How long does A List Preferred stay with you?

franktravel
Aviator B

A-List and A-List Preferred qualification will be based on a calendar year. Once A-List or A-List Preferred status is earned, the Member can begin enjoying the benefits immediately. The Member will maintain A-List or A-List Preferred status for the remainder of the calendar in which the status was earned and for the entire calendar year immediately following.

alnguyen84
Explorer C

thanks! that's what I thought -- just needed confirmation.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@alnguyen84 wrote:

I am currently an A list + Companion Pass member.

With it being 12/19 and I'm currently 3,000 points from being A list Preferred, seeing if it's worth getting. Will I have A List Preferred status for all of 2018?

If you haven't earned Preferred status this year, then you must have qualified last year. Meaning your A-List Preferred status will end on Jan. 1, 2018.

You will need to earn 3,000 TQPs prior to the end of the year to retain Preferred status for 2018.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

I think the OP meant A list, plus compantion pass as opposed to A-List+ = preferred?

Anyway - I'm in a similar situation back at the start of November with all of my business travel completed for the year, but needing about 10,000 points.

I considered purchasing higher fare flights for holiday travel to earn preferred, but decided not to make a points run and booked holiday travel from points instead. I would have had to buy a BS fare, WGA wouldn't have gotten me there alone.

• Estimate for yourself what the value would be by having the 100% bonus instead of the 25% A-list bonus based on your expected number of flights next year. At 60,000 points from flights, the extra 75% bonus = 45,000 points, at valuation $0.02/point an approximate breakeven cost to "buy" the status by flying a flight that I wouldn't have othwerwise purchased was $900
  • For business travel i can reimburse my wifi to each client, so spending my own money to earn free wifi for the year didn't have a financial return. Plus I don't always use it, and qualify isn't always great, so I passed on that. If you are a business owner where wifi comes from your pocket, that's worth 35 x $8 in addition to the points.
  • A-list automatic checkin is still pretty good, preferred might be a few spots better.

So mainly I think you should look at your remaining flights for the year, see how close  you would otherwise be, and decide if upgrading any of those to higher points or else making a points run would make sense. For me it was a little too far of a gap between what I had to buy anyway and what would be needed to get the 10,000 points.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Gotcha. I was using the terminology from another forum, where "A-List +" is shorthand for A-List Preferred. 😉

In any case, it doesn't change the great advice given here.