Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How often are Companion Pass points updated on the RR site?

mattcoia
Explorer C

As the title asks, when I check on my Companion Pass status on the RR site, how frequently are those updated?  As the end of the year approaches, I'd like to know how close I am to renewing my Companion Pass and if I need to make some last minute purchases to push me over the 110k.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How often are Companion Pass points updated on the RR site?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I do not know the official responses, but from my experience,

• points-earning flights update within a few hours after all flights in the reservation are complete (ie, the return flight of a round-trip reservation)
  • credit card points post within a day (or so) after the statement closes each month; note that you can always look at your statement to see how many points were accrued that month

I cannot speak to other types of point earnings that count toward CP, but I hope that helps!  It is also worth noting that when you do achieve CP, I have experienced getting the email and info in the mail very quickly after I make it over the threshold.  

-A List, Companion Pass holder

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@mattcoia you refer to "last minute purchases" which leads me to believe you are referring to earning points with the Southwest credit card. @ElijahBrantley makes a very good point, points from credit card purchases are credited to your account AFTER your monthly statement closes, not throughout the month as you complete purchases. This means that many purchases made in December may not provide points until January depending on when your credit card statement closes. Every year people get super upset about their points not posting in time and they miss out on earning a Companion Pass. Plan ahead and don't miss out because of the timing.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

One add-on comment - you can call Chase and have them move up your January statement closing date if that would be helpful this year. 

Leave a few extra days (don't choose December 31st) since there is some processing time on the order of a few days most of the time.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

kmill
Explorer C

Credit card points close within a day or two of statement closing date. Another good way to earn points, if you don’t already, is to use rapid rewards shopping. These points don’t post right away but it is a great way to earn points. Also rapid rewards dining.