Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How soon are points earned after buying tickets?

Sillyna511
Explorer C

Hi,

We are going to need to purchase 4 tickets next summer. Judging by how quickly we've been earning RR points in the past, we should have enough to pay for for 1 person's round trip flight exclusively with our points.

And I know that purchasing tickets for cash also earns us reward points. If we buy 2 round trip tickets with cash, the points earned just might be enough extra added to our account to cover the 4th person's ticket at least one way with points. 

What I want to know, is if those points earned are in the account right away, or if there's a delay. If there is a delay in earning points from purchasing tickets, then we won't be able to use those points towards the 4th persons ticket on the same day.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How soon are points earned after buying tickets?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

RR points earned from flying are not posted to the flyer's account until after the trip completes, usually within 24 hours of completion.

RR points earned from using a Southwest credit card are posted to the cardholder's RR account shortly after the monthly statement closes.

Timing for other RR earnings opportunities such as bonuses for hotels and rental cars or using the Southwest dining or shopping portal all vary, but typically points post shortly after completing the hotel stay, returning the rental, or making the purchase. 

Hope that helps, 

--TheMiddleSeat

Sillyna511
Explorer C

Okay thank you. So I definitely can't do what I was hoping would work! LOL too bad. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Sillyna511 wrote:

Okay thank you. So I definitely can't do what I was hoping would work! LOL too bad. 

Maybe another trip will come up in the meantime and you can earn points from that prior to next summer.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

I would try using one of Southwest's partners like rapid rewards dining or shopping as you will earn points for buying things you planned to buy anyways so it's like a bonus to you and maybe you can earn enough points to buy another one way or RT ticket 

Blake