Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How to cancel deceased family member's rapid rewards account

rsmbbdad
Explorer C

My father-in-law is deceased.  I have access to and control of his account with rapid rewards.  I would like this account closed/canceled.  What is the process?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to cancel deceased family member's rapid rewards account

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rsmbbdad wrote:

My father-in-law is deceased.  I have access to and control of his account with rapid rewards.  I would like this account closed/canceled.  What is the process?

My condolences on the death of your father in law.

I would advise against doing that.

If you want access to his RR points and want to transfer them out of the account, you will pay a penny a point to  do so -- basically cutting the value of the points by over 50%.

Instead you can keep the account open and use the points to buy tickets for anyone you want with no additional fee.

Just remember the account needs point earning activity at least once every two years for the points to remain in the account. Easy to do by using the dining for points program

edit add: I called SW customer relations with this very question  about two years ago. What I said above is basically what customer relations told me,

SWDigits
Aviator A

My condolences.

You may want to give the Customer Relations team a call at 1-855-234-4654. See this external blog as it has a nice summary of the Southwest policy (for multiple airlines, not just Southwest) and what they were told when they called Southwest: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/points-and-miles-after-you-die/

Customer | Home airport DCA

rsmbbdad
Explorer C

Thanks for the feedback.  I will give them a call.  I was hoping there was a simple "click" from the online account in question.  That would be too easy.  Besides, I suspect Southwest does not want folks closing accounts.

I should note that there are NO points available in the accout.  I just want to stop the emails, etc.

Thanks

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@rsmbbdad wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  I will give them a call.  I was hoping there was a simple "click" from the online account in question.  That would be too easy.  Besides, I suspect Southwest does not want folks closing accounts.

I should note that there are NO points available in the accout.  I just want to stop the emails, etc.

Thanks

That's a helpful clarification - you could opt out of the email if you have the login info. There has to be a way to resign the account as well, but you may need to call customer support or customer relations to do that.

Here are the newsletters:

https://www.southwest.com/myaccount/preferences/communication

You could also go in and delete all emails from the account and unsubscribe the next time you get a message, they should eventually stop.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.