Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

If I buy a flight with my SW CC for another RR member, who gets the points?

mzembik
Explorer C

Do get the points for the purchase? Does the flier get the points for the ticket? Both?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: If I buy a flight with my SW CC for another RR member, who gets the points?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Credit card holder gets the points associated with the cost of the purchase (2 points per $), the actual flyer(s) gets the points associated with the flight if they have a RR account.

--TheMiddleSeat

jamesdegan
Explorer C

Yes, absolutely credit card user gets the points because the points are awarded for spending the money to the person who spent the money. It's a good thing these points are being accumulated on Chase, where they value their customers. If you were to be accumulating them on Southwest you always run the risk that Southwest will wipe them out without warning. I personally had this experience due to inactivity on the account. I woke up one morning and the points were gone only to hear from a Southwest representative that there was nothing they could do.  Interesting, when I appealed to  Customer service they stood by this poor decision. Rest assured I will be accumulating points on every program other than Southwest because there is no Luv  for a customer of 30 years #SouthwestAir

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jamesdegan  as I noted in my previous post, there are actually two reasons points are awarded and they could be awarded to two different people. The Southwest credit card holder who pays for the rental earns points for each dollar spent. The named renter of the car earns any points awarded by the rental agency for renting the car. This could be a person different than that who pays for the rental.

Secondly, all Rapid Rewards points are held in one Southwest account so if you're earning Rapid Rewards points on a Chase credit card they are held in your Southwest account and subject to the standard account inactivity rules. Earning RR points via any method does keep your Southwest account active. Other, non-Southwest Chase credit cards may earn points kept in a separate Chase account, but the Southwest cards all transfer points to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jamesdegan wrote:

Yes, absolutely credit card user gets the points because the points are awarded for spending the money to the person who spent the money. It's a good thing these points are being accumulated on Chase, where they value their customers....

Feel free to use any credit card to purchase tickets, including other Chase cards. In that case the points will vary based on your program and the bonus point per $1 spent that @TheMiddleSeat was referring towon't apply.

For most people on this community, they will be using the Chase Rapid Rewards card, which does earn the bonus and does accumulate points into Rapid Rewards.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.