Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is Dollar rent a car a big rip- off ?

hoanglee99
Explorer C

I rented a van from Dollar at MHT airport on Jan 2, 2018. A Dollar's desk agent told me that I have to buy the insurance for the car even I told her that I have my own insurance and also my Southwest credit card will cover for the lost if occurred. But, she told me that I have to get the insurance in order to get the car because that is the government requirement for people who drives a car in New Hampshire, my insurance nor the credit card will not paid for it . At that day I was so cold in New Hampshire so I do not want to have any argument with her. I just want to get into the hotel soon . When I got to the hotel, I called my car insurance and found out that the requirement from Dollar's agent was not true. I feel this is the misleading information that the dollar's agent gave to its customer. The actual rental costs only $155.99 but when adding up the insurance , It went up to $387.76 more than the price of rental car itself . I feel that I was ripped off by Dollar Rent a Car company.   A search on the internet turned out many people had been complained about it.  Is this the practice of Dollar rent a Car Company? I hope that Southwest airlines will look deeper into this matter.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is Dollar rent a car a big rip- off ?

hoanglee99
Explorer C

After complaint was made to Dollar rent a car's management . They agree to refund all  insurance charge $183.55 to my credit card, but never again I will use this rental company .

Re: Is Dollar rent a car a big rip- off ?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I usually stick with the big five car rentals due to their higher reliability.

Even for a discount company where you might find the car not to be as nice, difficult to pickup/return, hard sell on the extras, etc. it goes way across the line to blatantly lie to the customer and I'm glad that they refunded you.

I'm sure there are many others that have heard the same spiel and paid up without complaining though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.