Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Losing A-List - Scheduled Flights

AmyL
Explorer C

I am currently an A-list member but am just short of the points and flights needed for 2019. I have three flights scheduled starting on January 2. Does my A-list carry over to flights purchased in 2018 or do I need to purchase early bird for these? It wasn't an option for the flights when I purchased the tickets.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Losing A-List - Scheduled Flights

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

It is my understanding that you will want to purchase EB for these as your elite benefits will expire at the end of 2018 if you did not requalify for A List in 2019.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@AmyL wrote:

I am currently an A-list member but am just short of the points and flights needed for 2019. I have three flights scheduled starting on January 2. Does my A-list carry over to flights purchased in 2018 or do I need to purchase early bird for these? It wasn't an option for the flights when I purchased the tickets.

When did you qualify? Upon traditional qualification (not a status-match or other limited promotion), you receive A-List benefits for the remainder of that calendar year and all of the following one. If you qualified in 2018, your status will end on Dec. 31, 2019. If it was back in 2017, your status will end on Dec. 31, 2018.

If your status ends at the end of this year, you won't receive A-List benefits for those January flights. And, unfortunately, A-Listers are blocked from buying EBCI, even for flights on which you won't receive A-List benefits. 😞

The general advice for this situation is to book the flights without being logged in or entering your RR number. That way you'll be able to purchase EBCI. Then you can request RR credit for the flight after the fact. (Note: You'll possibly lose TSA Pre-Check by doing so.)

But since your flights are already booked, I'm not sure that you have any options available. You can try calling and asking to have your RR number taken off those flights -- I'm not sure if that's possible. Alternately, you can always purchase Upgraded Boarding at the gate, if available ($30-$50).

Good luck!

dfwskier
Aviator A

remember that Southwest allocates EBCI boarding position by the date/time EBCI was purchased -- from oldest to newest.

So at some point it might make more sense to just try to check in exactly 24 hours before flight time, and if you get an undesireable boarding position, then, as chgoflyer suggested, try to upgrade into a1-a15 at the gate.