Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost points??

Mercymygft
Explorer C

Can you explain what this means:

Earn points on Southwest Airlines® at least once every 24 months with flight-earning or partner-earning activity, and your points expiration date will automatically be extended for an additional 24 months from the date of your most recent earning activity.

I seem to have lost my points, and not sure why.

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Lost points??

dfwskier
Aviator A

The line you quoted explains what happened 

You have to earn points at least once in 24 months or your account becomes inactive and your points evaporate.

Apparently you did not have any point earning activity during a 24 month stetch.

Sorry.

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

Points expire with 24 months of inactivity. (Which, for the record, seems impossible to achieve - it would mean you don't fly anywhere for 2 entire years or take part in any of Southwest's partner programs to earn points for 2 entire years. But, since you are posting about it, it must happen to not only you, but many others!)

The easiest way to get around this if you are not flying for awhile is signing up for Rapid Rewards Dining or Rewards for Opinions. For the Dining, you get points for eating out at a variety of restaurants, and at least near me, they have many Burger Kings that qualify. Buy a Whopper for $3, get 9 points, keep your account active. For the Rewards for Opinions, you fill out any survey assigned to you and get points. Even if you don't quality for the survey, you *still* get points (2-3 on average). It's a slam-dunk way to keep your account active - and for free!

--Jessica 

SWDigits
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

Points expire with 24 months of inactivity. (Which, for the record, seems impossible to achieve - it would mean you don't fly anywhere for 2 entire years or take part in any of Southwest's partner programs to earn points for 2 entire years. But, since you are posting about it, it must happen to not only you, but many others!)

Jessica, I've seen folks in different threads post and mention that they've flown but their flights were booked using rewards points, which doesn't earn any points, which is the key.   I'm wondering if this is the situation for the original poster.  Points earning activity is what matters, not flight activity or redeption activity.

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWDigits
Aviator A

New announcements today, to include points now never expire:

https://www.southwest.com/html/mkt/rapidrewardsupdates.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I suspect, but do not know for sure, that Southwest is making allowances for those who lost their points just recently due to in activity? 

If anyone has any data points it would great to share them.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I would assume there's a certain # of inactive accounts that lose points every month, but who can say!

--Jessica

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Find out about all the ways you can earn points here to ensure that your points don't expire.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Irrelevant as of the changes today. "Points that last a lifetime."

PS333
Explorer C

I have diffrent situation. I maintain to travel every year but somehow my rapid reward was not added to my tickets. I called customer service sent them my reservation number and they "confirmed" they added flight to my accounts, which they did not. After a year, i am booking my tickets and reviewing my points and notice and this was not added. 

I called customer service and they said it was not added and now its over a year that both trip was booked, we can not do anything.... you have to call customer relation. I did call customer relation and they said its over a year so we can not add that now.  Not only my points were not added for my trip but they considered that my account was inactive because this trip was never recorded at thire end so i lost my 168000 points and no one wants to do anything about it. 

What i should do here?