Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Need 17,000 points by

sirjeff
Explorer B

Hey anyone have tips on how to earn 17,000 points by end of year to retain A-List Preferred?

Last payment into Chase occurres about the 8th of the month....   Annual Limit of $15,000 

already has been reached...  thanks. J.Edmond

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Need 17,000 points by

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@sirjeff wrote:

Hey anyone have tips on how to earn 17,000 points by end of year to retain A-List Preferred?

Last payment into Chase occurres about the 8th of the month....   Annual Limit of $15,000 

already has been reached...  thanks. J.Edmond

I don't know how much you think it would be worth to do that. That's a pretty big gap to fill with only discretionary spending. Tier qualifying points are a little tougher to come by.

If you had some flights to take, and were willing to buy Business Select fares for those, you'd need to spend about $1417 on flights to make it happen - you get 12x points on business select, so for typical routes you are looking at three legs on BS fare.

For those looking to do the same thing for companion pass, there is an additional 1x points that you get from buying the fares on Southwest and the 1x from spending in general, but these aren't tier qualifying. Also dining, shopping, surveys, rental cars, hotels - all count for CP but not for A-list.

If you have any trips already planned where you have purchased WGA fares, you could consider upgrading them on your town to only pay the incremental difference in fare which may make this more feasibile.

The other approach would be on flights - how far off are you on those? I myself am considering a "point run" later this month if I can string together a few $50-$75 flights to accumulate a few extra legs over a day trip.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sirjeff
Explorer B

I glad i asked! Had not even thought of the simple solution. Take a couple of Business Select!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@sirjeff wrote:

I glad i asked! Had not even thought of the simple solution. Take a couple of Business Select!

I hope that works out and you have get two or three opportunities to fly business select to beef up your points.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.