Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Points that last a lifetime

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Announcement from Southwest today:

"Your Rapid Rewards points will never expire - Beginning October 17, 2019!

We believe the points you earn should be yours forever. That’s why you now have the freedom to keep all of your points without needing to have qualifying activity. No expiration means your points will be available to use whenever you want—even if that’s years from now."

Check it out here!

-A List, Companion Pass holder
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Points that last a lifetime

SWDigits
Aviator A

Also included in the announcement:

• Companion Pass qualifying points increase to 125,000 points from 110,000 points starting January 1, 2020.
  • Taxes & fees update for same day standby changes starting January 1, 2021.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

SW matches the competition.

That leaves American, Spirit and Frontier (not sure about Alaska , Allegiant or international airlines)

as airlines whose FF points can expire.

bec102896
Aviator A

I wonder if the extra government fees we will have to pay for same day standby will include the segment fees  and passenger usage fee (like if I go from a non stop to a flight with a connection) or does that mainly just affect international travel taxes? 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

I wonder if the extra government fees we will have to pay for same day standby will include the segment fees  and passenger usage fee (like if I go from a non stop to a flight with a connection) or does that mainly just affect international travel taxes? 

I read it as the extra fees that would be incurred if switching from a nonstop to a flight between the same city pair with a connection. This could be either domestic or international.

I also found this specific mention interesting:

"If an A-List or A-List Preferred Member is traveling on a multiple-Passenger reservation, same-day standby and priority standby will not be provided for non-A-List or non-A-List Preferred Members in the same reservation." 

I don't recall it being so clearly spelled out before which led to the gate agent making a decision to allow it or not. Perhaps it will be strictly enforced now?

Overall, I believe these are positive, sensible changes. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

Woo hoo!! Awesome!! 

--Jessica