Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Purchased RR Points

Mtndawg
Explorer C

I'm thinking about buying some points to give me what I need to book an upcoming last minute flight. Does anyone know...are purchased points treated exactly as earned points, i.e. if reward flight is cancelled the points are simply redeposited into my account free of penalty/fees?

Need to make this happen as soon as possible so hoping for an answer soon.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Purchased RR Points

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Yes. Once purchased, points are indistinguishable from any other points in your account. Cancelling a flight booked with those points will redeposit the points into your account. 

One important note is that purchased points do not qualify for Companion Pass or A-List. 

Also, keep in mind that point purchases are not refundable.

Re: Purchased RR Points

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You mentioned last-minute flights - point redemtions are great in my opinion for Wanna Get Away fares.

If the pricing of the flight has gone up and you flight Southwest very often, it may make sense to save the points for sale fares and pay cash for the flight while you'll be earning more points - especially if all that is left are Anytime or Business Select at 10x or 12x points.

If you fly Southwest infrequently, then I'd say use the points up and save cash flow.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.