Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards Connecting Flights

fixxer12
Explorer C

Hi!

Do connecting flights count as separate flights towards A-List status?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Rapid Rewards Connecting Flights

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Nope ! Each one is separate . If you want credit for a separate flight, you can buy two flights and see if it’s the same price ! Sometimes that works for m

hope that helps 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@fixxer12

As @bgubs14 said a connecting flight only counts as 1 A List qualifying flight unless you book the connection separately. the only issue booking the connection separately is if your first flight should be delayed significantly you may not be covered and may be considered a no show on the other reservation also if you would be checking bags you would have to re check the bags at the connecting city. just something to consider if you thought of "what if I booked each flight separately".

Hope this helps

Blake 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@fixxer12

As @bgubs14 said a connecting flight only counts as 1 A List qualifying flight unless you book the connection separately. the only issue booking the connection separately is if your first flight should be delayed significantly you may not be covered and may be considered a no show on the other reservation also if you would be checking bags you would have to re check the bags at the connecting city. just something to consider if you thought of "what if I booked each flight separately".

Hope this helps

Blake 

Keep in mind that if you miss the connecting flight, but arrive at the airport within 2 hours of scheduled departure, you'll be reaccommodated under the unpublished "flat tire rule." (And truthfully, I suspect that the time limit wouldn't even really apply, as an airport rep would most likely reaccommodate you upon seeing that you had multiple, consecutive Southwest flights booked that day.)

Also, it's not guaranteed, but an agent should be able to check your bag all the way through to your final destination.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Keep in mind that if you miss the connecting flight, but arrive at the airport within 2 hours of scheduled departure, you'll be reaccommodated under the unpublished "flat tire rule." (And truthfully, I suspect that the time limit wouldn't even really apply, as an airport rep would most likely reaccommodate you upon seeing that you had multiple, consecutive Southwest flights booked that day.)

I haven't been in this scenario myself, but as long as you were flying all legs on Southwest they would be able to see that you were on their flight, delayed for some reason, and I would think you could be re-accomodated.

@chgoflyer wrote:

Also, it's not guaranteed, but an agent should be able to check your bag all the way through to your final destination.

This one would surprise me! What if you canceled the other flight for some reason?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you canceled, your bag would still go on to it's intended destination. You'd have to work with Southwest to get it back to you, possibly paying a shipping fee.