Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards Point Redemption

mmontaz
Explorer C

Did Southwest remove gift cards from their Rapid Rewards redemption? They are no longer showing on the "More Rewards" site.  When I do find one, I click on it and it states that item is no longer available.

Point redemption for Gift Cards are a big reason I have been so loyal to Southwest, and would be a big reason for me to go elsewhere.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Rapid Rewards Point Redemption

SWDigits
Aviator A
That is strange, it is not showing any gift cards available for me either. You may want to try again tomorrow or send a note to Southwest to inquire. The option is still prominently displayed as an option on the site so I am guessing there is a technical issue.

Customer | Home airport DCA

mmontaz
Explorer C
Solution

Update 5/10: Southwest has since added a notice when you visit their More Rewards site that GC's are temporarily unavailable.  They advise to check back on 5/14. Hope they figure it out... I've already converted to using my Marriott credit card in the meantime.  Marriott allows you to redeem points for Amazon.com gift cards (hint hint Southwest).

dfwskier
Aviator A

I've said this here before, but apparently not on this thread --- more rewards is not administered by Southwest. It is a different company that maks money by  discounting the value of points used for gift card purchases --

ie -- a $200 fare on Southwest will cost you less points than a $200 gift card bought thru more rewards. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@dfwskier wrote:

I've said this here before, but apparently not on this thread --- more rewards is not administered by Southwest. It is a different company that maks money by  discounting the value of points used for gift card purchases --

ie -- a $200 fare on Southwest will cost you less points than a $200 gift card bought thru more rewards. 

@dfwskier wrote:

The best redemption value for Rapid Rewards points should always be Southwest WGA fares. Currently these are priced at 78 points per $1.

Gift cards bought through More Rewards have been relatively consistently priced at 100 points per $1 (for $50/$100 cards). It will be interesting to see if that remains the case once they become available again.

Southwest has devalued Rapid Rewards points multiple times since 2011, when the program debuted and WGA fares cost 60/$1. If future devaluations continue to reduce WGA fare redemption value, gift card purchases may become a more attractive option.

whitejane53
Explorer C

The only reason I use my South West Card for all my purchases is that I can get gift cards with the points.

I will start using my Fed Express as they still have gift cards.

gsking
Aviator C

@whitejane53 wrote:

The only reason I use my South West Card for all my purchases is that I can get gift cards with the points.

I will start using my Fed Express as they still have gift cards.

Wouldn't it be simpler and more efficient to get a cash back card?   My AMEX card does just that.   I'm sure you're losing value in the transaction.

Or is this some complicated money laundering scheme I'm unaware of? 

gsking
Aviator C

You fly SWA so much that you get so many points you redeem them for cash (ie. Gift cards), rather than flights?   And if you can't do that, you'll fly another airline (and spend more cash), just so you get a small fraction of it back? 

Sorry, I'm not following the logic. 

Visitor200
Explorer B

There are many of us here who get thousands of SW miles/points that choose not to fly, but to use the points/miles to get gift cards.  

Visitor200
Explorer B

Well, the gift card area may be working now . . . but they deleted both the Barnes and Noble cards plus the Amazon cards.  I don't need any of the other "stuff".