Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards Qualifying Points

acgaidar
Explorer C

I first want to say that what I talk about here has nothing to do with the great SW employees that I encounter on my many flights and the service they provide. It's more about what I feel Southwest is not properly messaging within their rapids rewards program. I recently ran into a situation where some of my earned points as a A-list preferred SW member did not go towards my tier qualifying status.  I carefully calculated the points I should have earned through the SW rapid rewards points calculator site "How to earn points". Turns out my bonus points are not considered tier qualifying. I spent almost an hour with a SW rep on the phone and she couldn't even tell me or find out where on the web site it said that the bonus points were not tier qualifying and which case she finally pointed me towards corporate.  Corporate finally pointed me toward the "rules and regulations" where this was stated, in other words the small print.  However, there is nowhere on the rapids rewards page that says the points you earn were not be included in tier qualification. If a SW employee can't even find this language or understand why all my points didn't go towards your tier status than how is a consumer supposed to know this. Corporate really did nothing but point out the fact that I should have known to go to the "rules and regulations" page to understand what was meant by tier qualifying points.  They did promise a call back from a higher level supervisor but refused to connect me with an executive. I post this to understand if any other SW rapids rewards member has been in the same situation and if there was any other resolution. It's really frustrating that it's coming down to the fact that I should have read the small print. I didn't realize SW was a company like that.  Anyway, I will be pursing this further to see how we as consumers can be better informed. If anyone is interested to follow along please let me know.  I will also be posting same message on broader media outlets to see if anyone else is as concerned as much about this as I am.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Rapid Rewards Qualifying Points

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm sorry you were under the wrong impression regarding Tier Qualifying Points, and I know that can be frustrating. But my recomendation for answering your question, "how we as consumers can be better informed," is to always read the rules and regulations.  😉

What are the Rapid Rewards® Rules and Regulations?

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

When we were on track to achieve the Companion Pass the first time, I read everything I could get my hands on to confirm what the rules were. I wanted this pass and wasn't willing to lose it just because "I didn't know" or "SW didn't inform me at the top of the rapid rewards page of what  the rules are".  I even looked at my Point Activity to learn what was posting as qualifiying points.  

ALL programs like this have fine print and EVERYONE should be reading them, if you want to attain the rewards of the program.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I had the same question, but after going to the points summary on my account and toggling back and forth between TQP and regular points it was clear that the bonus points were not included in the TQP, every flight was off by the same ratio.

I didn't think they would be, or else the 100% bonus for A-list preferred would be too powerful of a perk.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

pandagund
Explorer C

I am sorry that the other three folks replying to your comment didn't show any empathy for you and your situation.  I agree with you, in that customer service representatives should be able to direct you to the "small print".  It isn't easy to find this information.  What makes it even more confusing is when we, as SW consumers, receive a pluthera of marketing that doesn't clearly differentiate between 'points' and 'tier qualifying points'. 

I stumbled upon your comment when looking to figure out if Companion pass points were TQP calculated or straight point calculated.  I am 4,000 points from reaching goal, and unfortunately, all my December purchases will not register until next billing cycle.  I received an email saying I could purchase TQP to reach my goal.  These TQPs are more expensive than straight up buying points.  But I can 't tell if I need TQPs for Companion pass or not...

So, end of story, I agree with you. It is quite confusing!

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Sounds like there's still some confusion. Tier Qualifying Points and Companion Pass Qualifying Points are two different things. And both are separate from simple Rapid Rewards Points.

You can't buy any points that will qualify for Companion Pass, but you can make purchases through Rapid Rewards Shopping or Dining that will qualify (if posted before the end of the year). Points for hotel stays booked through the Southwest website also qualify for CP, as do good old points earned from flights. Credit card points are a significant way of qualifying for CP, but, as stated, they post after the close of your billing cycle, so it may be too late to earn more for this year.

Tier Qualifying Points only apply to A-List qualification. They are the hardest to earn and the most limited. They are essentially only those base points from flights, a small amount annually from the Premier credit card, and a small amount you can buy each December to help you if you are close.

CP and A-List qualification is indeed confusing. But Southwest has a live counter in your account that you can reference and filter via point type, to help access your status at any time. Forums like this one (and others online) are good sources of info. But ultimately, the terms and conditions are the final reference. Good luck!

dwaynec74
Explorer A

Thx! You answered my question as well.