Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid Rewards & Group Pricing

mrrick747
Explorer C

I am planning a trip with a family group and want to get tickets early. If I do that and prices drop, SW will credit the group for future flights. (which most wont ever use). I believe the tickets booked with points would have a reduction in points used for that passenger and not a "future" credit. If thats all true...can I book the passengers that wont be able to use their credit with points?..and then book mine and wifes (points holder) with cash (as we will use Southwest within a year).

Confusing?? Hope not

Thanks, Rick

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Rapid Rewards & Group Pricing

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@mrrick747 

Yes you can book yourself on cash tickets and if you have sufficient points book the others on points. If the price drops you can change the points tickets and get points back in your account and the cash tickets would have a credit for future travel.

I do this with my family a lot as I travel more so they pay me the cash for the ticket and I book them on points and use there cash to buy my ticket so i can re earn status and get any credits for the price of a flight going down. 

Note: if you are using Southwest group travel (10 or more people) then you can't book part of the group on points unless they are booked seperatly and you still meet the minimum 10 travelers requirement. 

Hope this helps

Blake

Re: Rapid Rewards & Group Pricing

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@mrrick747 wrote:

I am planning a trip with a family group and want to get tickets early. If I do that and prices drop, SW will credit the group for future flights. (which most wont ever use). I believe the tickets booked with points would have a reduction in points used for that passenger and not a "future" credit. If thats all true...can I book the passengers that wont be able to use their credit with points?..and then book mine and wifes (points holder) with cash (as we will use Southwest within a year).

That's exactly the smart strategy - use points for anyone that may be subject to change in plans or that doesn't fly much.

Anyone that flys a lot:

a) can use travel funds in a timely manner if they acquire them

b) may benefit from the paid fare to earn status towards a-list or companion pass

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.