Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refer A Friend - Lacking Compassion for elders using handheld devices.

Blackpashun
Explorer C

While I have read and understand the terms and conditions of the refer-a-friend program, I referred 4 people. The very first person I referred was my 77 year old aunt who has very good credit. She was approved and did receive the card. When I sent her the link via a text message, she initially tried to complete the application on her phone but said that it was too complicated to read on her phone screen so she stopped and went to her computer to access the application and apply there. I called Chase several times to make them aware that it was someone I referred but because of her age and because she was technically challenged, she went to her computer to do the application because she could see it better.  She told me the next day that she just could not do it on the phone but was not aware that it would prevent me from obtaining the refer-a-friend bonus points. I worked very hard to bring business to Chase and Southwest that would benefit us both because I was eager to get a companion pass. I fell short by just under 4k miles of the 110 miles required because the points were not awarded to me for my aunt until January of 2018. I tried several times to prove that this was my referral and even gave her name, last four digits of her card and her address.  Despite providing all of that information, I was denied the companion pass. I do understand that rules are rules but really felt that my aunt's age and technical challenges should have been considered. I feel that Chase and SWA were covering their bases to say that the link must be used but again, my aunt tried and said it just did not work. Instead of calling me, she took it upon herself to go to her computer and apply. I have purposely used my Chase/SWA for nearly every purchase to obtain the required points along with my refer-a-friend bonuses so anyone could understand my frustration here. I have been known to pay upwards of $3500 because I have desperately been working towards that pass. Obviously, if Chase or SWA spoke to my aunt, she would confirm that she did try on her device but became frustrated and went to the computer and therefore could have backed my story about her being referred. Had I been told this back when she applied that I would not get her points, I could have sought out another individual to apply but I was not told until January despite my numerous calls to the corporate office. Each person I spoke to, told me the points were coming and since I felt misled, obviously, anyone could understand how upset I was. Not one time did anyone tell me until January of 2018 that I would not get the points for my aunt. Each time I called, I was told they were on the way. Yes, I did EVENTUALLY get the points in the form of a courtesy adjustment but my frustration is that I feel the courtesy adjustment COULD have come in 2017 and NOT January of 2018. I got the runaround for at least 3 months and if they would have told me sooner, I could have resolved it by finding another friend to refer but because of their lack of GOOD customer service, I was left  without my companion pass.  I A NOT HAPPY!!!!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Refer A Friend - Lacking Compassion for elders using handheld devices.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Why didn't your aunt just use the link on her computer instead of her phone?

Blackpashun
Explorer C

Partially because she took it upon herself to just apply from the computer vs. the phone. She did not understand that there would be backlash behind it and nor did I. I provided them all over here information--addres, application date and the last four digits of her card number. 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Blackpashun,

I'm really sorry to hear about the trouble your aunt had with the Refer-a-Friend offer. I know that must be frustrating. If you want a Representative to take a look at your account and help with an individual promotion, it would be best to contact our Customer Relations Department on Twitter (@SouthwestAir). This is a Customer-to-Customer discussion forum, so unfortunately we don't have the power here to make adjustments to Rapid Rewards Accounts. 

Blackpashun
Explorer C

I am please to announce that SWA came through for me and I was awarded my companion pass. Though the details are specific about how the points are earned and that a person must use a link, it was after my research that I learned that however, I wanted credit for my friend I referred which I got since they awarded me the points for her but then did not want to award the companion pass. I would have understood more if they would have not given me the bonus points for the friend but, it appears that they believed me on the friend so, they should have honored the pass w/o me going through all the trouble. Chase said no, but SWA finally did their own research along with Chase and awarded me the pass.