Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund Cash to Use Points

Adri0111
Explorer C

I want to purchase flights for a companion and I with cash money. I am waiting for my rewards points to post.  Can I later call in and have the money refunded and use points instead?

Unrelated question. I had a flight that I had to cancel. Can I use the value of that flight towards a ticket paid fully with points.  I want to use the credit to pay the taxes/security fees.

Thank you. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Refund Cash to Use Points

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Adri0111wrote:

I want to purchase flights for a companion and I with cash money. I am waiting for my rewards points to post.  Can I later call in and have the money refunded and use points instead?

Only if the fare was Business Select or Anytime which are refundable fares, if you purchase Wanna Get Away fares they are not refundable.

Points booking would also be refundable, if canceled the points go back to your account even for WGA fares.

@Adri0111wrote:

Unrelated question. I had a flight that I had to cancel. Can I use the value of that flight towards a ticket paid fully with points.  I want to use the credit to pay the taxes/security fees.

That should work. The value from that flight would have included taxes/fees in it and could be an even exchange for a new flight including fees.

Make sure that you will use the credit before it expires, one year from original purchase.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.