Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Researching your account for travel credits

Tswets
Explorer C

I can never call and get an easy answer when I ask Southwest "Can you tell me what travel credit I have available?". I travel a lot and sometimes have to cancel. Isn't there an easy way for the Southwest employee to look up any travel credits that I have? I don't always keep track of my cancelled flights and that seems to be the only way they can "find" my credits. It's almost like they want to make it harder for me to use what I paid for. Thanks in advance for any input. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Researching your account for travel credits

dfwskier
Aviator A

I don't think there is a central database of available travel funds that either the airline or you can access. Using confirmtion number is the only way I am aware of.

When you cancel or change a flight Southwest sends you e-mails that start with the words "updated flight reservation" or "cancelled flight reservtion" on the subject line. Assuming you haven"t been deleting them, you can search for them to get the information you want. Hopefully they haven't ben going into a spam folder with an auto delete capability. If you have no e-mails, I have no suggestion about what to do next.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Short answer: No.

In the past, email confirmations would contain valuable information like remaining balance on particular travel funds, and if you called a rep could look up travel funds based on the credit card you used to make your flight purchase. This is no longer true. I'm sure you realize the reason Southwest would like customers to utilize less of their travel funds. 

The onus for tracking funds is now squarely on the customer. If you do have lots of cancellations and miscellaneous travel funds, I've found it best to keep track of everything in a spreadsheet. 

Tswets
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply. I normally do that, but it is a hassle. My take is it should be easy for them to pull that up versus me having to keep track of it. 

Tswets
Explorer C

Thanks. I do keep the emails. With work and travel, it sure would be easier if I didnt have to pull the old emails. I'd like to be able to make a reservation and simply select "apply unused travel funds" and not have to provide confirmations from the cancelled trips. They know I have them, right? 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Tswets wrote:

Thanks. I do keep the emails. With work and travel, it sure would be easier if I didnt have to pull the old emails. I'd like to be able to make a reservation and simply select "apply unused travel funds" and not have to provide confirmations from the cancelled trips. They know I have them, right? 

We agree. As @chgoflyer has noted, Southwest doesn't seem to be headed in that direction to facilitate. They seem happy to offer the travel funds without a change fee, but it is solely on the customer to keep track of them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.