Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rewards Points are SOOOO Confusing!

alialijohnson
Explorer C

Hi there, 

So I have the Southwest credit card and have been super excited about the possibility of the companion pass. My statements close on the 5th so my understanding is I need to get to 110,000 points by then. I am about 12,000 short at this time and would hate to only miss it by a few thousand. My question is, I am staying in a hotel soon that I booked and got 3000 plus points for. Will those points count toward the companion pass? I also don't understand how I don't have AList status. It seems that points earned on my credit card should apply toward that? This who system is much more confusing then it really should be and is hard to find answers. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Rewards Points are SOOOO Confusing!

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Companion Pass qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, points earned on Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners.

Purchased points, transferred points transferred between members, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from program enrollment, tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass qualifying points.

Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account.

A Member who has a Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase will earn 1,500 Tier Qualifying Points for every $10,000 in eligible net purchases on that card, up to 15,000 Tier Qualifying Points per year.

Re: Rewards Points are SOOOO Confusing!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If your statements close on the 5th your cutoff for earning points via credit card spending this year is December 5th.  There are reports that points earned from hotel stays booked through southwest.com do count towards CP, but the fine print indicates otherwise so there's no guarantee about those points. The only way to earn A-List is to fly, points earned otherwise do not count towards status.