Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA Chase Card scam - or inability to use immediately to purchase ticket

DiDiDiReed
Explorer C

Decided to get the Chase Card to get SW points in order to buy our tickets.  I have seen the ads in FB and at the airport.  So i do it.  Can't use the card for 7-10 days, until you receive it.  Spent 55 min on the phone with Chase, 5 min with Southwest, which was after the number Chase gave me for SW travel was actually a free cruise phone line.  Seriously why would you advertise this.  So i have canceled that card - which is two dings to my great credit, getting a new card and closing an account.  Guess we won't be going to Portland, as right now i am so upset that i don't want to fly SWA and i hate United.

Thanks for nothing in this case SWA - i was one of your biggest fans, but you pulled pretty much out of Des Moines.  When i lived in KC and Chicago i used you a lot.  Maybe it doesn't mean much since i can't fly with you as i used to,

6 REPLIES 6

Re: SWA Chase Card scam - or inability to use immediately to purchase ticket

franktravel
Aviator B

Not a scam!

Bonus Points

"This product is not available to either current Cardmembers of this credit card, or previous Cardmembers of this credit card who received a new Cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months. To qualify for your bonus points, you must make Purchases totaling $2,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening. Please allow up to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your Rapid Rewards."

bchapnick
Explorer C

There is recent chatter on the web (https://www.valuepenguin.com/southwest-airlines-credit-cards) that folks have applied for the SW Credit card with Promo to spend 2K in 3 months and you get 60K points.  Folks are complaining that SW is not honoring that promo.

I personally am concerned since I got the card a month ago, almost spent my $2K and worried I will NOT get my 60K miles,

What are you folks doing about this very negative chatter?? and will you honor me with the correct amount of points?  Before I applied, I called Chase bank to confirm I had not had one of your Cr Cards for 2 years.

rzappala
Explorer C

We just received the 60,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on our SW Premier Chase Credit Card.  We applied for the card a few months ago and I don't see this offer anymore.  Looks like it has been change to 40,000 points.

I always call to verify the bonus offer. Here is the phone number: 1-800-792-0001.  Good Luck.

Gt
Explorer C

Going thru the same crap! I just received my card and was so mad I called to cancel. Such a scam not letting you use it right away like it suggests.  Either approve or deny me right away. What's the need to wait and send me a card? They said my account was pending. I have great credit. Definitely a scam. Don't do it! 

4speedfunk
Explorer C

Yup...total scam.  I spent over $1k in the first three months and Chase/Southwest refused to honor the promo (40,000 points).  Numerous phone calls.  No help.  Each company blaming the other.  Eventually cancelled it and ate the $100 annual fee.

It's all over the internet.  Stay away from Chase...totally worthless company.

jksobonya
Aviator A

This kind of thing is almost always the result of customers not understanding the terms and conditions of their credit card agreement. That is definitely the case with the OP. You can't open an account and then immediately assume you can use X amount of points for a free flight. That's not how it works. 😕 Read the terms and conditions - carefully! 

--Jessica