Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA Special Points Offer is a very bad deal.

smithdp
Explorer C
I got a promotional email from SWA that I was specially chosen to receive a bonus 40% pts when I buy 10,000 pts or more. So I just purchase 18,000 pts and received the 7,200(40%) for $495. I just figured that since SWA was a no nonsense player(TRANSFARENCY) it must be a good limited time offer.  Well now after the fact, I have just gone online to see what the value of 1 SWA point might be. There are multiple sites that have done thorough analysis on point values on all airlines. They are mostly consistent and say 1 SWA point = $.016. So if I do the math correctly 25,200 pts X.016 = $403.20 in value. Please explain to me how this is a "Special Offer" when it appears I lost $90 in this exchange. I feel hoodwinked by a trusted friend.
10 REPLIES 10

Re: SWA Special Points Offer is a very bad deal.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

smithdp
Explorer C

Sorry, I'm new to this. I did cancel the dulicate post but it never disappeared.....maybe a SWA moderator could help fix this.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@smithdp wrote:

Sorry, I'm new to this. I did cancel the dulicate post but it never disappeared.....maybe a SWA moderator could help fix this.

You can also edit it to say "deleted duplicate post" or something, unless people have already started replying then I would leave it, and perhaps put a reply at the bottom to redirecct the conversation to the first thread in order to keep discussion consolidated.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Hello, sorry to hear about your unhappiness.

Southwest called it a bonus offer because with the purchase you would get more points than normal as pasrt of the offer. You DID get your bonus points so  Southwest was not being dishonet with you.

Point purchases from most airlines almost never make financial sense as  other airlies do what Southwest does: charge more for the points than they are worth on airfare. It might make sense to buy a few points to add to your existing points so that you can buy a ticket. IMO it almost never makes sense to buy  lot of points, but you already know this now.

smithdp
Explorer C

Thanks for your response. 

Mind you, when SWA sends me(or anybody) an email saying I was chosen for this "very special bonus offer of limited time "I think it's reasonable to think that it's something of value to me the customer. I blindly trusted that SWA based on my past experiences and with the constant hype I get by emails, TV & radio (with "Tranfarency", etc) that it was a good deal without checking. Again, my bad....SWA is just as ruthless as all the other airlines except they do it with a smile. Would it not be better is SWA was honest and upfront in a points promotion by including a simple statment like....."Loyal customers please remember that buying points is NEVER as good as cash when buying a ticket"  ????

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@smithdp wrote:

Thanks for your response. 

Mind you, when SWA sends me(or anybody) an email saying I was chosen for this "very special bonus offer of limited time "I think it's reasonable to think that it's something of value to me the customer. I blindly trusted that SWA based on my past experiences and with the constant hype I get by emails, TV & radio (with "Tranfarency", etc) that it was a good deal without checking. Again, my bad....SWA is just as ruthless as all the other airlines except they do it with a smile. Would it not be better is SWA was honest and upfront in a points promotion by including a simple statment like....."Loyal customers please remember that buying points is NEVER as good as cash when buying a ticket"  ????

So you didn't need any particular amount of points for a booking, you just bought the points for use later?

Unfortunately if you had been shopping a particular flight looking at points and dollars, you would have seen buying the fare directly was cheaper than the points.

Obviously no airline advertises this, but for those reading the board: buy points to top off your account to make a particular booking, that's the best use of point buying,or transfering.

It would have to be quite a bonus to make buying points cheaper than buying a flight outright.

smithdp
Explorer C

Thanks DancingDavidE !

The truth here is I am an absolute rookie at this airlines points game. I foolishly trusted that SWA had my best interests in mind when sending me the "Special Offer to invited customers only, for a very limited time". I honestly thought they were offering points slightly better than cash value for a future flight. As a rookie I bit at there slick sales pitch and bought without doing due diligence. Was SWA dishonest...maybe not but they certainly did not make any attempt to make it clear that points NEVER trumps cash. Rookie mistake....at age 60+ you think I would have known better. Live and learn.

dmausner
Explorer C

To OP: there are a number of major advantages to being a Southwest customer.

But we must always have in mind that every corporation exists to make a profit first, and serve the customer after.

If you own dividend-paying shares in a corporation, you will appreciate this argument.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@smithdp wrote:

Thanks DancingDavidE !

The truth here is I am an absolute rookie at this airlines points game. I foolishly trusted that SWA had my best interests in mind when sending me the "Special Offer to invited customers only, for a very limited time". I honestly thought they were offering points slightly better than cash value for a future flight. As a rookie I bit at there slick sales pitch and bought without doing due diligence. Was SWA dishonest...maybe not but they certainly did not make any attempt to make it clear that points NEVER trumps cash. Rookie mistake....at age 60+ you think I would have known better. Live and learn.

I guess the closing advice is to enjoy your slightly more expensive but refundable points booking, and I hope you continue to give Southwest a chance.