Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

jimcasada
New Arrival

Sometime in the last couple of weeks, SWA stole back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning, just as I was getting ready to use them. Even though if you go to their website, it clearly says "Points Don't Expire," the fine print says otherwise.  http://milecards.com/1588427423/southwest-points-expire/

Their cold response to me when I complained was "Rapid Rewards Points don’t expire as long as there is earning activity in the account within a 24-month period, and we send out a notice prior to inactivating a Member’s account.  We also make this information available in your MySouthwest accountIf we aren’t lucky enough to welcome you onboard again soon, we hope that you will take advantage of some of the other ways to earn points in order to keep your account active."

What kind of remark is that?  There was no notice whatsoever.  My response: Goodbye SWA......

34 REPLIES 34

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @jimcasada,

 

I'm sorry for any disappointment you have experienced since learning that your account expired, and the points were forfeited. Rapid Rewards is a loyalty program designed to thank our Frequent Flyers for their loyalty. Rapid Rewards Points don’t expire as long as there is earning activity in the account within a 24-month period, and we send out a notice prior to inactivating a Member’s account that states what qualifies as earning activity.  Again, I apologize for any frustration since you were saving these points up.

 

Highlighted

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

Tmnardo
New Arrival

Yes I was made aware of the 24 month inactivity period when SWA took my 57000 + points from me. 

I NEVER received notice of upcoming expiration and was told that SWA does not send notifications out.

Shame!

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

Gladesgirl
New Arrival

Same thing happened to my husband's points.  We have the Southwest Visa Card in my name and it is used all the time and my husband is on the account as well.  Didn't matter.  They stole his points as well.  And I am up on all emails and there was never an email to warn us.  We would have done almost anything to not loose those points, but after the fact, they don't care.  Always have praised SWA, but not now!

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

kbproctr
New Arrival

 I had no idea my points expired.  So thank you very much and I will never fly southwest again! 

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

dfwskier
Rising Star

@kbproctr wrote:

 I had no idea my points expired.  So thank you very much and I will never fly southwest again! 


Points expire on EVERY airline except Delta -- some in as few as 6 months. Southwest's expire in 2 years, In all cases airlines either require you to earn more poins or spend sme points before they expire. In Southest's case you have to earn points before the old one's expire. Earning points can be as simple as eating lunch asd spending a few buck at a participating restaurant

 

Expiration is not a gotcha that the airline hides. The rules are publihed. Don't you think you have a responsibility to learn the rules of a program that you decide to prticipate in?

 

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

Again, Southwest would do well to reduce customer confusion by not advertising "Points don't expire."

 

It's disingenuous on their part toto ha an account become "dormant," and all points "forfeited" just to work around the limitation of not actually having points "expire."

 

Southwest used to be above this kind of thing and, in my opinion, it's sad to see that they no longer are.

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

dfwskier
Rising Star

@chgoflyer wrote:

Again, Southwest would do well to reduce customer confusion by not advertising "Points don't expire."

 

It's disingenuous on their part toto ha an account become "dormant," and all points "forfeited" just to work around the limitation of not actually having points "expire."

 

Southwest used to be above this kind of thing and, in my opinion, it's sad to see that they no longer are.


In all fairness to Southwest, whenever the term Points Don't Expire appear in print, they are followed be an *, and in close proximity this follows "*Points don’t expire as long as you have flight-earning or partner-earning activity at least once every 24 months."

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@dfwskier wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

Again, Southwest would do well to reduce customer confusion by not advertising "Points don't expire."

 

It's disingenuous on their part toto ha an account become "dormant," and all points "forfeited" just to work around the limitation of not actually having points "expire."

 

Southwest used to be above this kind of thing and, in my opinion, it's sad to see that they no longer are.


In all fairness to Southwest, whenever the term Points Don't Expire appear in print, they are followed be an *, and in close proximity this follows "*Points don’t expire as long as you have flight-earning or partner-earning activity at least once every 24 months."


 

True, but that's just laughable, really.

 

Earlier you mentioned point expiration not being a "gotcha." In my opinion, saying one thing ("Points don't expire") and then having to add an asterisk to literally completely reverse that statement is very definitely a "gotcha."

 

Why even advertise that they don't expire if they actually do?

 

It's just wrong.

 

Re: SWA steals back my 14,475 points without any notice or warning!

jakez
Active Member

Same thing Happened to me...  54,300 Point vanished.  I spoke with the "Customer Care" department only to be told there is nothing they are going to do about it and that there is no further escalation nor person I could talk to.  I was planning a huge Trip for my family literally the day after my points "expired" and I have to now cancel the entire trip...  I am so disappointed in Southwest. 

 

I have been a Rapid Rewards memeber and Loyal Southwest customer for over 10 years... I am feeling about that same as you at this point and I am considering fling exclusivly with any another airline as my faith in Southwest has been Rocked.   Southwest obviously does not care about its long term customers.  and looks at its rapids rewards member points as a Liability instead of Loyalty.  

 

Thanks Whole Lot Southwest...  We really appriciate it  Cat Mad