Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Someone opened a RR account using my email (and Southwest won't fix it)

juliagarcia13
Explorer C

I've been a Southwest customer, Rapid Rewards member, and shareholder for many years (decades, actually). 

Someone apparently mis-typed and entered my email when they opened a new RR account. I got a "welcome" email and immediately called to report the error. I was told it would be taken care of and figured all was well. Many months later I got another email asking me to please activate my new account. What? Apparently my email address was only shuffled to secondary status on this random account and not removed completely.

Bottom line is that Southwest refuses to remove my email from this other person's account. They say they can't change anything without the customer's permission (um, how about you contact them and ask for permission to correct the error) and that it's in the contract that Southwest can't change anything (well, by reading the Program Terms and Conditions I can come up with several ways that they have the authority to fix this, even without contacting the customer, so I don't buy this excuse at all).

I had nothing to do with the creation of this account and I really don't like getting spammed by emails that shouldn't be coming to me in the first place (apparently my email is subscribed to at least one of the news/promotion subscriptions via this other RR account). 

Anyone have any suggestions? Rapid Rewards reps and Customer Relations have been useless. I have a request in for an escalated Customer Relations call but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Someone opened a RR account using my email (and Southwest won't fix it)

SWDigits
Aviator A

As another Southwest customer I would put it in writing -- the "Contact Us" link found at the bottom of the forum pages has an option to send an email message using an online form and an option to send snail mail:

Southwest Airlines
P.O. Box 36647-1CR
Dallas, Texas 75235

I had a similar issue with a totally different service provider and I asked the front line rep to immediately escalate until I was talking with someone from the provider's security team.  I don't know what options are available for you with Southwest.

Customer | Home airport DCA