Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Stolen points

Shadley63
Explorer C

I wanted to let all Southwest card members know that your reward points are not secure. A person hacked into my account, changed my email and address, neither of which I was notified of, and ordered $400 of Amazon gift cards. By changing the email I was not notified of the purchase. By changing the address the gift cards were shipped to them. I have notified Southwest via email and am waiting for their reply. The Southwest credit card is through Chase, but they do not administer the Rapid Rewards/More Rewards program. Southwest does not have the level of security as a credit card company. I am canceling my Southwest card because of this because if the rewards website can be easily hacked you can loose your points at any time.

arleenstone
Explorer C

i  also  was  scammed  out  of  400  dollars  ..  there  is  a  girl  on  offer  up  selling  points her   name  is  natalie  and  her  email  is  caren seidl@cloud.com  ..  she  has  airline  points  for  sell.  i  had  bought  some  points  traight  from  southwest airlines  and  i  was  short     a  couple  thousand  for  a  trip  so  i  seen  this  girl  selling  airline  tickets   40,0000 and  she  wanted   500  dollars  so  i  thought  it  was  a  great  deal..  she  told  me  to  buy  four  ebay  girft  cards  and  she  would  send  me  her  email  (caren seidl@cloud.com  which  i  did   everything  was  going  great   i  sent  her  400  dollars  worth  of  cards  from  ebay  she  sent  me  22,0000 points .  i looked  and  they  were  in  my  rapids  reward account   so  i   was  waiting  for  her  to  send  the  rest  of  point  and  then  it  happened   the  points  disapeared  out  of  my  account.   i  called  southwest  and  she  had  gave  them  to  me  under  gift  a  freind  and  as  soon  as  i  paid  her  she   took  them  back...  so  i  am  out 400  dollars  and  southwest  said  sorry  about  your  luck..  so  i  can  see  this  might  be  the  same  person  who  is  stealing  your  points  and  has  a  big  fraud   thing  going  on  and  is  getting  away  with  stealing  from   alot  of  people  so  i  just  want  to  tell you  how  they  are  scamming  innocent people.   they  got  me  also

franktravel
Aviator B

Program Terms and Conditions for Rapid Rewards. 

Southwest Airlines is not responsible for unauthorized access to a Member’s Account and will not replace stolen points or awards.

goheelslhd
Explorer C

Something similar to me just happened less thatn four hours ago.  I get an email saying my account had been "updated"  I logged into my account and over 260,000 points are gone.  I call immediately and initally am told "its a weekend and the department you need to talk to is not open until monday morning at 8am" (you would think a fraud line would be open 24/7!)  I look at the activity and it was used in "Southwest More Rewards" - The email was changed (Southwest said there was no notes indicating anyone called to change the email) and it was greyed out so only Southwest could change it back!  If you look at the "delivery transaction"  its random letters and numbers.

I have a feeling I am going to be a very unhappy camper to say the least based on what I;m seeing here.   If Southwest doesn't reverse what obviously is  security issue on THEIR side they have lost me for good.  And I was going to be using those points for a huge trip for my daughter and her 21st birthday less than a month away.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @goheelslhd,

We take your account security very seriously, and we certainly want to understand this situation better. One of our Customer Relations Representatives will be able to review your account with you and walk through the history of transactions. Please contact us at 1-855-234-4654 for assistance. 

Shadley63
Explorer C

I called 1-855-234-4654 for assistance with my stolen 40000 points and was not given any help other than to email southwest with all of the imformation and wait for a reply. This is theft and the address where the $400 of amazon gift cards was sent is in my address history on the account. There is no multi-factor authentication on your website. 

Shadley63
Explorer C

Dear Sandra,

Thank you for contacting us about your Rapid Rewards account. We appreciate the opportunity to review the account activity with our Business Integrity team.

We take the security of our Members’ Rapid Rewards accounts seriously, and we protect our Members from fraudulent activity by fortifying your data against a breach. To partner with those technology safeguards, we also require Members to enter a password prior to accessing any of their account information on southwest.com. We encourage you to use a strong password and highly recommend that you do not use your Rapid Rewards account password for any other online accounts.

Please know that our Rapid Rewards terms and conditions specifically state, “Southwest Airlines is not responsible for unauthorized access to a Member's Account and will not replace stolen points or awards.” The order of two $50 gift cards for Walmart were delivered to your address and notification was sent to this email address. Based on this information, we are unable to confirm fraud has occurred on your account. Please email us if you have additional information. At this time, those points are not eligible for reinstatement. Login to your account, validate that all of your contact information is correct and change your password if you haven’t done so already.

We truly value your patronage of Southwest Airlines as well as your participation in Rapid Rewards. We look forward to our next opportunity to welcome you onboard!

Thank you again for reaching out to us. Please know that we value your business, and we look forward to seeing you on a Southwest flight soon.

NOPlongtimeRR
Explorer C

This response to Sandra is not acceptable.  It appears from all these posts regarding stolen points that the Southwest RR has a very serious problem in that its system is being breached and points ar, in fact,  being "stolen" redeemed.  The company must recognize it has a problem that is not yet solved.  My daughter's account was just breached today, 9-26-2017, and approx. 80,000 points were stolen and redeemed.  The company cannot just reference some language in its terms and conditions and forego its responsibility to provide security of its data.  I now believe that data was breached and credit card related information with the Chase RR credit card was stolen with fraudulant credit card purchases.  I believe this Southwest system breach is the source of the credit card data theft.  Chase credit card has been very responsive.  It appears that Southwest is not recognizing this as a serious breach.  

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@NOPlongtimeRR,

Thanks for posting in the Southwest Community. If there is a problem with your daughter's account, we certainly want to look into it. Please contact us through one of the channels listed here, and we'll work with you to investigate the matter. 

rneiderauer
Explorer C

I just logged in to rapid rewards and lost all of my points. I called Southwest and they said someone hacked my account and used my 100,000 points on More Rewards for gift cards! Of course More Rewards is closed on weekends so I can't even report it! What can be done? Southwest says they can do nothing even though More Rewards is their program. I didn't even know what More Rewards was. I been saving points for a long time for a trip.