Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

The logic of crediting the sign up bonus is so confuse

lavendernoevir
Explorer C

My fiance and I are working on getting the Companion Pass for 2020 and 2021.  We got a new credit card and we need to spend 5k in order to get the sign up bonus.  We have some returns so the overall spending is less than 5k, however, somehow Chase has notified SW that we have reached the 5k spending requirement, so SW has credited the sign up bonus to us today!  According to Chase, it is the gross spending that matters not the net spending (after returns), is there anything that SW can do to reverse the sign up bonus, until we actually meet the 5k spending requirement?  I found that logic so strange, that means, you can spend 8k and then make a return of that 8k, and still get the sign up bonus!?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: The logic of crediting the sign up bonus is so confuse

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Nope, no reversing, points are posted in 2019 and that's the end of the story.

By rushing and attempting to hurry up when you earned CP you basically ruined your chance.

Did your statement(s) total more than $5k? I didn't think they would calculate your total spend midway through a statement, but that's certainly possible, activating the bonus once spending hit the $5k threshold. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: The logic of crediting the sign up bonus is so confuse

lavendernoevir
Explorer C

My statement total is under 5k