Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tips on Earning Companion Pass in December

Heather3005
Explorer C

I am at 91% on obtaining a Companion Pass. Any tips or tricks for completing this by EOY? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Tips on Earning Companion Pass in December

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

-Fly on Business Select fares 

-Book and complete stays at hotels or car rentals through southwest.com. Points Plus Properties are high earning hotels. Travel must be completed in December with a a few days remaining for points to post.

-Shop through the Rapid Rewards shopping portal. Also be sure to allow enough time for points to post.

-Might be too late to sign up for a new credit card, but if you already have one any purchases made on a statement that closes in the December would count.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

You can also sign up for rapid rewards dining and you will earn points at select restaurants by using your linked credit/debit card. 

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

Like @TheMiddleSeat, I would suggest flying.  With the other programs, it can be hard to know when points will post.  The cost of a one day flight that gets you out and back will hopefully be much less than all the money you can save with a companion pass. As @TheMiddleSeat said, the flight has to end within December to post to December.  Good luck!

dfwskier
Aviator A

As @CareforNOLA said, you have to pay atention to when points will actually hit your account.

The most predictable is flight related points. $1000 in business select fares earns you 12,000 points, and they hit your account almost instantly.

Rent car points hit your account pretty promptly, but not always in the correct amount. Dining points are more variable. Hotel points are more hit and miss - especially those with big point totals.

Never used the shopping function, so I can't speak to those.