Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Two year companion pass

rhamill45
Explorer C

I am just a few points shy of having the companion pass.  I have seen articles indicating that if I hold off paying my SWA credit card balance until January, I can redeem my companion pass eligible points for the 'balance' of 2017 AND the full year of 2018.  Can anyone confirm that this is true?  I am worried that in January I will find I got greedy and all of my accumulated 2016 points have expired . . .  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Two year companion pass

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

On Dec 31st at midnight everyone will reset bact to zero for eligibility for Companion.   You will need to earn 110,000 starting on Jan 1st. If you earn 110,000 by March 2017 you will have the Companion Pass for the rest of 2017 and all of 2018!!  Points have nothing to do with paying your balance. If you a few points short you need the points posted to you account by Dec 31st. 

Good luck!!

Re: Two year companion pass

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rhamill45 Make sure that what you saw wasn't that you hold off earning the spend threshhold in January. SWA only knows that you spent the money during a particular billing cycle, not that you have paid Chase at any particular time.

Pointsguy and other sites elaborate on how to get a jump start on 2017 earning by deferring that bonus point award into the next year, but you would not have any of the 2016 points to start from.

I hope it worked out that you got the CP for 2017. Next time you might need to take a day trip to push it over if you are close in late December.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.