Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Un-used SW RR points - Leaving United States for good on 03/29/2017

nimishpatil01
Explorer C

Hi All,

My last day in the United States is 03/29/2017 and will be leaving at 3 PM CST to board my final flight out of Dallas to my home city in India.

I have about 31500 unused points in my rapid rewards account and I am not sure what to do with them.

Is there any way that I can be able to redeem them for somthing in the next 2 days?

Can southwest airlines excuse my situation and allow me to pick up gift cards or somthing of similar value from their warehouse directly in Dallas?

Please help as I really do not want my points to go waste. I also do not have any friends or family that I can donate my points to or have the gift cards shipped to them.

Plase advise? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Un-used SW RR points - Leaving United States for good on 03/29/2017

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Do you have the Chase Southwest Airlines Credit Card?  If you do, you can do this http://tinyurl.com/mhfdpsn

nimishpatil01
Explorer C

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have the SW Rapids Rewards Chase Credit card.

The link that you provided takes me the awards website where I can only purchase gifts which will atleast take 2 business days to arrive (along with 72 hours of processing time after the order is placed.)

This is not an option for me as today is 03/27 and I leave United States on 03/29.

Is there any way that SouthWest Rapid Rewards can physically hand over the gift cards to me from one of their Ware house in Dallas, TX or something like that to help me redeem my points instantly?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @nimishpatil01,

Your points will only expire after two full years of inactivity, so as long as you earn points periodically (purchasing points or using our partners are two options for this) your account will stay active and you can use the points upon returning to the U.S. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Your best bet may be to order gift cards asap and have them sent to a friend or family member in the US who can then forward them to you in India.

Your Rapid Rewards account is kept alive as long as you keep your credit card account open, or have any point earning activity every two years. You can do this by utilizing Rapid Rewards Shopping and making a small online purchase (one song from iTunes, etc.).

A potential major issue is that you may not be able to access the Southwest website from India. Unfortunately, Southwest doesn't allow website access for many outside the US. They claim this is a tech issue that they are working on, but they've been making that apology for over a year now, so it's hard to believe that's true. If you do have that problem, you can try using the app (on your mobile carrier's network) or accessing the website using a proxy server.

Good luck!

major
Adventurer C

You can give them to me:)))) I will put them to good use for a vacation with the kids!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@major wrote:

You can give them to me:)))) I will put them to good use for a vacation with the kids!

That person left the US in March.