Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Using New Rapid Reward Credit Card

ngrg11
Explorer C

Hi.  Hoping to find an answer here...I just signed up for a SW credit card. I thought I would be able to apply and use SW credit card on today's ticket purchase.  I clicked the link through checkout, filled out the application and was approved.  Clicked the chase link to return to SW to buy tickets and I'm unable to purchase because I don't have the new credit card number. I called SW and was told to call Chase.  Called Chase and was told it was a SW issue.  Does anyone know how long it takes to link account?  Don't really want to wait until credit card arrives next week and lose out on ticket prices today.  Thanks!

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Using New Rapid Reward Credit Card

chuckd992
Explorer C

Did you get your answer? I have exactly the same issue. 

ngrg11
Explorer C

No - I was told I would just need to wait to receive my card.  Chase says it's SW's problem and SW said it was chase's.  Doesn't help when fares doubled the next day. 

franktravel
Aviator B

I think this is the offer you are talking about.....  This is the offer that is at the bottom of the payment page when paying for a flight. 

Earn a $200 statement credit after your first purchase, which will post on the same statement if you make your first purchase today, and 10,000 bonus points after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.* This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.

MntMaster489
Explorer C

If the reward for credit card is just "first purchase" I think we're good right?

The purchase doesn't necessarily have to be for this particular flight that the CC is failing on.

If we want to get that fare just go for it with some other credit card.

We'll still get the $200 credit eventually on the SW CC yeah?

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hello everyone. I did some digging and reached out to understand what may be happening on this issue. Upon Chase approval, the handshake to Southwest for payment can fail due to a technology glitch or the system times out because the Member took too much time or the Member navigates away from the page, etc. At that point, neither Chase nor Southwest can provide the Member with means to use the new credit card to pay for the reservation. I can't apologize enough to anyone impacted. It seems like the best bet is to purchase with another form of payment as, yes, you will still eventually receive the $200 credit. Hopefully that's helpful.

If you have a specific complaint regarding your experience, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to reach out to us via the options in the link below. Thank you all again for the feedback!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

claerinn
Explorer C

If we use a different card, I don't understand how we would get the $200 statement credit?

Please explain.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@claerinn wrote:

If we use a different card, I don't understand how we would get the $200 statement credit?

Please explain.

@claerinn I am another Southwest customer so offering my intepretation.  When I read the comments above about using another card I interpreted it to mean there would be an assumed second ticket purchase at a later date and that the credit would be applied for that second purchse.

Customer | Home airport DCA

claerinn
Explorer C

So, I just called Chase and they are going to "expedite" my card.  The rep said this is the number one complaint for this Credit card.  They know it's a problem, yet do nothing about it. 

While, I can still get the statement credit on any first purchase, the $300 flight will not go towards the first $500 spent earns 10, 000 points, which is annoying.  They need to fix this.

He said I could also call Southwest and ask them to honor the flight and price until I get the card.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@claerinn wrote:

So, I just called Chase and they are going to "expedite" my card.  The rep said this is the number one complaint for this Credit card.  They know it's a problem, yet do nothing about it. 

While, I can still get the statement credit on any first purchase, the $300 flight will not go towards the first $500 spent earns 10, 000 points, which is annoying.  They need to fix this.

He said I could also call Southwest and ask them to honor the flight and price until I get the card.

The statement credit is independent of any flight purchase, it will be applied after any first purchase is made.

My understanding is that minimum spend is calculated after any credits are applied, including the $200 sign-up one. (Also be aware that the annual fee does not count towards initial spend requirement.)

And, unfortunately, Southwest is unable to hold a fare or honor a previous one once it's no longer available -- so do not count on that being an option. Book now if you're worried about the fare increasing.